I Forge Iron

Question on old colonial anvil

Just got this old fella. Weighs 140 pounds and has a nice wide 5-inch face. Wee bit of sway (ok, a lot of sway) as you can tell, but has a good rebound. Here's my question - as you can see, the edge is rolled over and stands proud of the surface. I really am new to blacksmithing and believe that I should grind it off, but I wanted to ask those with MUCH more experience than I. So, should I leave it (I don't think so) or grind a smooth radius that eliminates it? Thanks for any and all help.

post-12829-0-90266400-1327877104_thumb.j

post-12829-0-13515600-1327877320_thumb.j

For knifemaking it's a bit rough; you might kiss the forward part of the face just the smallest bit with a belt sander or angle grinder flap disk. The center section is for heavy hitting and is fine the way it is---it will clean up a bit with use from the plannishing aspect as well as scale being an abrasive. I'd leave the heel alone.

If I was doing F&I or Rev War demos or Fur Trade era I'd be proud to use that anvil. Unfortunately it's a bit more modern than most of my demos call for...