I Forge Iron

anvil repair finally got around to it

well ive had this anvil for years and its a good anvil reasonable bounce but the side just looked ugly! i was told that previous owners used the side to test picks after hardening .... anyway it needed fixing..so i decided to try welding it up ..i set my wirefeed welder up high and went at it ... the face never got to warm to touch so it didnt affect the hardness ...next step will be a sand blaster then away to work!

post-3127-0-82104800-1327872833_thumb.jp

post-3127-0-68976300-1327872935_thumb.jp

That looks like a cast iron anvil did you do any pre or post heating?

no i did not and ime not sure what the anvil is made of... it was pretty gnarley to start but it actually welded fairly nice ... figured there were enuf pockets to hold the weld to keep it in place ... it is all weld and ime quite pleased with how the welds look.shouldnt be a problem as there is not really any stress on it...

Well it has a swelled boss around the bottom of the hardie hole and a u shaped knotch on the back foot . These are the tale tale signs of a vulcan anvil they were cast. Also the texture of the metal looks like cast iron. With wrought iron one would see more deformation what I see is material chipped away more like what cast iron would do. I could be wrong buts thats what I see.

The amount of damage is amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. I wonder if it might have been a bad casting to start? Looks like it will work just fine.

some of it but i dont think much ... it dosent show well in pictures but in person you can see the tips of picks in the damage (or you could before i welded it up) after talking to older people it was a common practice to test a picks hardness by driveing it into the side of a anvil ... if it didnt mush or break the hardness and temper were considered "good" according th the person i bought this from (many years ago)it was used by 3 generations .....and they worked a lot for the mines...

That's a good job.

I had the chance to buy a Fisher that was eaten up on the side like that, but turned it down when the seller couldn't tell me what it weighed. He was advertising it as a 300# anvil for $600, but I didn't get notified of the damage until I drove up to Asheville to pick it up (amazingly, it wasn't disclosed in his ad or the photos he sent me!). First thing I noticed when I turned the anvil around was that the "other" side was heavily damaged, and the whole thing sure didn't weigh 300#! Found out later that it weighed 238# and passed on the deal.