I Forge Iron

High Density Flap Discs

Marklink

They don't cut as fast as coarse-grit sanding discs but they last longer and they grind and polish in one step. I keep some around.

That can depend on how you use them and what grade of grit the disc is.

They come in various grades of grit from coarse through to fine

The flap discs for the 4-1/2" grinder by WALTER are backed up with a plastic disk. When finishing welds by using the end of the flap disc, new edges can be made by holding the spinning wheel against a sharp steel edge like under the table corner and removing some of the plastic to expose new ends. These discs are saved just for this app.. The brand I use for all other apps., in various grades of grit , is PFERD. A long lasting wheel that is more balanced than many others( hand fatigue) and the well is deep enough that wheels without the nut ( cheaper) fit without the round nut or spindle touching the work. I have bought NORTON wheels, both flap and hard, with the nut crossthreaded and cannot be used, OR tapped so oversize that it will not tighten or stay on the grinder. I like to use flap discs for just about everything, and got boxes of worn wheels kept forJustin Case. Can't bring myself to throw them away. Not to hijack this thread, but how many of you use the 4-1/2 " thin cutoff wheels? RAZORBLADE is one brand name .They are 1/16" thick and really cut fast, both steel and flesh.I use them a lot while fitting work in a jig for those long angled cuts, that only can be done with a torch or these wheels.