I Forge Iron

Afire in The Belly

macbruce

For me the best way to start the day is a with fire in the belly as well as in the forge. I India there is a saying that translates....''One mans curry is another mans poision'' I can relate to that cause lots of people think I'm nuts when I tell them about my favorite breky.......Heuvos Rancheros, two eggs OE, corn tortilla under them with a couple on the side, refritos (mashed pinto beans) and a healthy smattering of hot green chili all over the top....Oh, and let's not forget the side of Menudo (spicy tripe soup w/ plenty of chopped raw onions, red peppers, and orragano on top.......The beer on late Sunday breakfast only after the sun has passed the yardarn in St Louis at least. After one of these honkers lunch just doesn't seem to interest me..........
I'm certain there is a Mexican in the ''woodpile'' somewhere in my ancestry.......I have been known to frequent the scarier neighborhoods in Denver looking for family run dives that ALWAYS blow the chain restaurants away looking for the perfect chilli relleno or lengua burrito (tongue meat) or simply my next capsasin fix. This kind of eating is not without some discomfort but it ain't on my tongue, more south of the border..........;-)

post-15096-0-12831400-1327269570_thumb.j

I'm with you 100% - plus I'm fortunate to live very near San Antonio and great Mexican food is everywhere. In fact, the bad places go out of business because there's too much good competition. We have a lot of family owned places called taquerias which are only open from 6am until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. People go for morning tacos on the way to work, then we have more tacos at morning break; lunch can be a bigger meal if you like but most folks have supper at home with la familia. The bigger tourist places are usually decent but the small family owned businesses are always the best. I always try to eat at a local place on Saturday at lunchtime and can get out with chips and sauce, a beef fajita taco slathered in pico de gallo and ice tea for $3.56 - can't beat it anywhere. I also make my own chile relleno using poblano or New Mexico chiles; I've been told they are pretty tasty... B)

Now your speakin my language amigo. I know well the search :ph34r: for the dive with best chile relleno. And I had to read this right before dinner :o
My favorite store bought salsa for when I run out of homemade is: Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa. It actually has some heat for a store bought that is commonly available.
smith out

I live near San Antonio New Mexico and am amazed that the local town has a Taco Bell in it as all the other mexican places are family run and are so much better I don't know why TB hasn't been run out of town on a rail.

You know a restaurant is good according to the local tastes when it's filled up at lunch time and doesn't do dinner!

The local places source local ingredients too and you can tell with your tongue what the chile crop was like this year compared to other years

I live near San Antonio New Mexico and am amazed that the local town has a Taco Bell in it as all the other mexican places are family run and are so much better I don't know why TB hasn't been run out of town on a rail.

You know a restaurant is good according to the local tastes when it's filled up at lunch time and doesn't do dinner!

The local places source local ingredients too and you can tell with your tongue what the chile crop was like this year compared to other years

Now there's no way I can I can pack away all that every day, that would ruin my girlish figure.....best to have a breakfast burrito every other day at least...;-)

There's a huge difference between a junk food fix and a good restrant, family run mex restrants are usually all about quality...or they go under as HW says......The Amigos always know the real thing....That's why I make sure there are plenty to be seen before I take a chance......or not, dpending on how hungry I am...... :lol:

I just returned from Silver City, New Mexico, Red Paint Powwow, to my home in Santa Fe. I might mention that the Indians put out a larrupin' good "Indian Taco" * which is fixings on a big, round fry bread. I know, I know. Calories! My wife is Native American and makes a mean pot of posole (pozole) which is a dish of boiled local hominy and usually with bits of pork added. The chile can be on the side and added as needed. We have blue corn tortillas in New Mexico...wow! Almost like a confection. Desserts are good, like flan, a sweet custard, and sopa, bread pudding. There is much more I could expound on, but then we'd be writing a cook book.

*sometimes called a "Navajo taco."

Your first Spanish language lesson: "Sopa ain't soap and ropa ain't rope."

Here is a pic of my comal. Seems like every meal around here comes with tortillas and picante (in mexico, they just call it food). Some day I am going to make a tortilla press attachment for the fly press. Where I live in So. Colorado there's good chile's and a nice variety of beans. You can hardly go anywhere in late summer without somebody on the side of the road with a big propane tumbler filled with anaheim's. A big smoker is also on the to do list.

Just got back from Sante Fe complete with a visit to the Turley School. If a guy wanted to learn forging and a a bonus follow his belly around that's the place, what a foodie town. Thanks Frank, your place has mucho fuerza.

post-979-0-72131500-1327508970_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of my comal. Seems like every meal around here comes with tortillas and picante (in mexico, they just call it food). Some day I am going to make a tortilla press attachment for the fly press. Where I live in So. Colorado there's good chile's and a nice variety of beans. You can hardly go anywhere in late summer without somebody on the side of the road with a big propane tumbler filled with anaheim's. A big smoker is also on the to do list.

Nice set up my fellow aficionado, let's break tortillas some time.... :D .....Some may think it's all about hot, but if there ain't NO heat it's boring. Mexican food w/o enough spice is a culinary oxymoron to me.....Ever watch the guy on Man vs Food? He took the challenge at an Indian restraunt that boasted the hottest curry bar none.....So hot the cooks had to wear gas masks and goggles just to cook it!.....He ate the hole thing. I would have loved to have seen him at 3AM, not a pretty picture..... :lol:

I live in SE Missouri and every place that is worth calling a town (and some that arn't) has at least 1 family owned Mexican restaurant. Our favorite automatically brings us a bowl of there hottest salsa without needing to ask for it. About 30mi. away is a Tai place where if you say xtra spicy you better MEAN it, I love it. but for good Italian I have to drive 2 hrs but worth it when in the area.

• 4 months later...

My latest taste sensation!.............I was out of green chili this AM for my Heuvos Rancheros :( but all was not lost....Last night's lefover pizza w/jalapenos on the side beckoned, two scrambled eggs w/ the jalapenos mixed in and Bada Bing B)

post-15096-0-43849700-1340121602_thumb.j