I Forge Iron

Poll - What supports your anvil ?

What supports your anvil ?

120 replies

53 or 44.2% Wooden stump (log)
30 or 25% Wooden construction (boards)
25 or 20.8% Steel construction (angle iron etc)
4 or 3.3% Factory stand (cast iron etc)
4 or 3.3% Barrel of sand (or other filler material)
2 or 1.7% Concrete formed base
2 or 1.7% Other

I had a problem answering as my big anvil is on a wooden construction---from a RR bridge I believe I found it floating in a creek during a flood: 3 large baulks bolted together that I cut off at 6' long.

My next anvil is on a welded steel frame I got in an iron in the hat.

The third anvil is on a single chunk of wood---dressed and creosoted a long time ago that was in the neighbor's field---not a RR tie, bigger.
and Finally I have a cast iron factory stand for my small anvil and use a stump for the T-stake anvil

*all* are in use and my "primary" one depends on where and what I'm doing...

Thomas

Like Thomas, I have several different anvil stands. My primary forging anvil sets on a rectangular block, another in the back sets on a similar block but the whole thing sets on a WW2 surplus devise on casters, the one in the middle next to a work bench sets on an old cream seperator base with a piece of pipe as a riser, the Big anvil sets on an angle iron base, and my demo anvil sets on a light Oak base with mortice and tenon construction, and I have a small cast iron anvil on a wood block in my basement wood shop.

I support my anvils, both of them. They only have part time jobs and don't even bring in enough to put a roof over their head let alone put any food on the table. Most of the time they hang out in the garage doing nothing. Most of their friends are unemployed hammers and tongs along with a couple of forges that get high by huffing propane. They are antisocial, they only have a couple dates a year and since they have no driver's license, I have to take them everywhere they go.

Woody

At least they're not snorting coke :-)

Hehe Woody, hehe Thomas, hehe BT, HAHHAHHAHAHA! Oh yeah, I forgot the topic, my anvils are currently supported by a hemlock stump, and a root beer tree stump. But soon, my everyday use anvil will be supported by this new awesome steel anvil stand, which has:

A tool tray, with small parts compartments, tong rack, hammer rack, the anvil is secured to the whole stand by an ingenious screw clamping mechanism, and attached right to the whole stand, WHICH is collapsible, is a filing vice with a foot pedal opening mechanism:D. The whole thing is made from pretty heavy gauge square tubing, and is very awesome. I'll post pictures when I get it, I already have it reserved.