I Forge Iron

Brooks Anvil worth?

Hey guys I did a little looking around in the forum and I can't get a concrete answer to my question so I've gotta make a new post. Sorry about that.

A guy welcomed me into his shop to check out some stuff he had for sale. One of the items is a 75# anvil that looks like it's never been used. All surface rust but the corners are sharp, no dents anywhere everything is perfect on it. It doesn't sit level however, seems like the bottom needs to be fixed for some reason. Kinda wobbles. Not sure what's up with that. We took some steel wool to the side and all we could make out was "Brooks" and under that I saw "Sheffield". He's asking $4.00 a pound which I think is pretty high. I'm really don't wanna pay that kind of money for a little anvil so I was wondering what you guys think it's worth.

I didn't take a picture of it so I don't have that to show ya but if you guys have any ideas, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Chad

Price really depends on location and the buyer's need. A mint condition anvil in any size is rare, and Brooks has a good rep, but if you don't need it, then it isn't worth $4/lb. Personally, I'd offer him $2/lb and see if he takes it. Or ask if you can bundle the anvil with some other tools/materials for a better price. Anvil + XYZ for $350?

Don't worry about the anvil not sitting perfectly as that can be fixed easily. The top plate and horn is where you're concerned, and you say it looks cherry. Did you check for solid rebound?

75# is a bit light, though it would certainly have its uses and trumps a railroad track!

Are you really needing something to get started learning blacksmithing? Are you interested in knife-smithing or making large gates, etc? A small anvil can handle working with small metal (say nothing over 1/2" thick) but will really bog down if you're trying to work larger stock.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm looking to make some simple fixed blade knives so small stock is all I'll be working with. I picked up a HB that we think weighs around 250-275 pounds for $200 but that's in a garage pretty far from my house. I like working out there on long projects but for quick heats in a short amount of time, I was looking to get a smaller setup for my house and this anvil would be the perfect size for the area I have to work in and it's also very portable. He has an older forge and a few other tools laying around so I should talk to him about bundling the anvil and the forge together. I just really don't want to show disrespect by telling him I don't feel his anvil is worth $4.00 a pound to me. I'll give him a call today with a plan on what I want to bundle and see where it goes.

Thanks again for the reply!

CS

That anvil sounds like a good luggable size . You can expect to pay more for good anvils which can be easily moved around to use as a demonstration anvil. I had a Milwaukee (probably made by brooks) that I bought new in 1980 that sold for $350, with stand, and a couple of hardy tools after 22 years of sporatic use, mainly for demonstrations. That size anvil moves around a lot when forging so if you do not plan to use it for demonstrations I would buy a bigger one. Sounds like you are in a buyer friendly area. Then again you might just like to have a stack of anvils in a corner somewhere. It's hard to have to many.

Sounds closer to new price to me. If all you need is a big hunk of steel to make knives on I would look a a chunk of forklift tine at scrap price than a top dollar anvil.

It's a bit of a wait but the IBA conference in Central Indiana in early June should have some dandy anvils cheaper than that!

Did you ask around the Michigan blacksmithing group? I'd be surprised if you couldn't turn up a decent small anvil for less than that price.

http://wildertools.net/?page_id=319

For making knives, you don't need that much of an anvil. Rick Marchand makes some great knives and his anvil, seen in link above, is just a block of steel set in concrete. Works like a charm, apparently, and a whole lot cheaper!

Still, I'm a sucker for a small london-pattern anvil and would have to look carefully at one in great condition. It's no disrespect to try and talk the guy down on price. Heck, he might have started high so someone could talk him down and both parties end up happy!

I would love to help the guy out since I know he's in a tough spot financially but I just don't know if, when I bought it, if I didn't want it anymore I could sell it? I don't want to pay too much for it and not be able to get my money back out of it. I get into so many hobbies and then lose interest. I haven't lost interest with blacksmithing by any means but it's not to say that one day I won't. I just want to cover my ass in case something happens and I need to get that thing sold. For $300, I don't know if I could do that.

You guys are the best, thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

CS