I Forge Iron

new vise stand

ironsmith

I say this reluctantly but you asked for opinions. Is it bolted down to anything or is it a mobile base? You probably will find it unstable without good anchorage to the floor with out a very wide heavy base. Also welding it to the stand limits you to that stand only not to mention it is a very nice old tool that should be treated with respect. You may want to attach it to a different base at some point or a work bench its much easier to unbolt than to cut welds. That being said it looks like a solid fabrication that should hold up to pounding if bolted down.

hehe, I was going to mention that i tacked the old girl down until i could go get some bolts to permantly mount it to the stand,
I need to borrow a hammer drill to drill the holes in my shop floor to fasten it to the floor, at the moment i am thinking red heads but there are
other types of fasteners i might look at as well. the only thing i think is an issue like you mentioned is how small the base is. It might behoove me to add some
plate to the bottom to spread the stress out on the floor, but I think I am goin to bolt it down as is and see if it is good enough. I can always add a plate later.

Thanks for the comment!

just took another look at the picture, and you cant see that the "post" is an I beam with a plate on the bottom.
there are 2 holes (one on each side) of the plate for fasteners. ;)

Good observation and consideration in this conversation!

I would feel very insecure about using my main shop floor "Permanet" anvil or vice configuration if were able to move "At All" during use.
I understand the necessity of having and using a portable (what we used to call floater anvils or Vices) and their reasonable and proper use.
The old shops I worked in had a couple of floater anvils. Used mostly for Farrier work.

But it is a different story when it comes to depending on my main shop vice and anvil that is supposed to be secured in some fashion.
I do not want them to be able move an inch during rigorous use.
In fact I want them to be so dependable that a tug boat could not move them!

It is just a personal thing with me but I feel that it is very important.

Now I got that off of my chest! :P

Ironsmith, sounds like you are heading in the right direction.
Just in case you may not have been,
it is a good thing to have people on this site who are willing to advise you of something that needed to be said!
Thank You Timothy!

I get what you are saying there Ted, I would like to eventually sink a 6x6 into the floor and mount directly to it, but i am not sure
how long we are going to be in this house, so i didn't want to go to all the trouble right now (Lazy :P) and i am comfortable
with mounting to the floor for now.

Timothy I do appreciate the honesty and opinions! just as Ted said :)

Not to hi-jack the thread but what epoxy would you use to secure the threaded rod? I have a power hammer that I want to secure to the floor and I had planned on using anchors that are hammered into the drilled holes of the concrete pad. Open to suggestions. Thanks

I like the stand ironsmith

Brian Pierson

I have two leg vises in my shop. Both are attched to portable bases. They are heavy and stable enough that they don't move under use but I can drag them around when necessary. Most everything in my shop is movable except the big bench and the treadle hammer. The treadle walkded all over until I anchored it.

I think the vise is always better if it is mounted snug to the post. Others may correct me if I am wrong but I think the key/wedge mounting system is meant to pull the fixed leg into contact to the mass of the mount. The closer it is to the post the less chance for twist and flex. The wedge set up in the slots in the mount should pull the vise against the front of the bench or post before they bottom out in the slots.

Definitely have the vise mounted securely as well as the post. Mine is on ash and almost 3 feet into the ground. Think of it this way. if the vise moves when you hit it then that is energy going into moving the vise, not moving your metal, so it takes more work on your part to get the job done. This is true for the anvil, too. If the anvil wobbles or walks...

post-1310-0-97738500-1327328556_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...