I Forge Iron

Stake anvil and Lap anvil

That is a nice stake anvil, bickiron, beakiron, bickern. I guess bickern derives from a bird's beak and 'ern' is contracted from 'iron.'

I'm told that they show up at Quadstate, and that most of them were to be found in the area of Pennsylvania and Ohio. I suggest that the English (London) pattern anvil could not be used easily for some forging techniques. Therefore, some shops kept the bickern handy. For example, a smith might have wanted a small, sharp U-shaped bend on the end of a bar; the pyramidal horn would be helpful. Or he might want a small right angle bend on a short piece, but the tongs are in the way, sitting on the anvil face. Again, the pyramidal horn.

I have two bickerns, one purchased years ago in Arizona. Another I got in trade, and it was used in Texas. The Texas bickern is probably made of wrought iron, as both horns droop, and the small, central face is mushroomed. I find that my bickern is often useful when I forge branding iron letters and characters.

Hello again and thanks for the replys guys,

This bick has a pritchel hole in the top and a small hardy hole, I didnt get any pictures of them, but it is really clean and nice shape!

I was wondering, if I can use this bickiron/anvil in the hardy hole on my 250lber soderfers, it has 1 1/4" hardy hole.

Will it damage the hardy hole or split the tail off of the anvil? Is it meant to be used in the top on an actual stump by itself?

And I was curiuos about value/worth, because of what my dad paid for them, he just buys when he finds me tools!!

thanks again Jeff