I Forge Iron

Hearth rack & tools

Don A

For the past several weeks I have hit you guys up for advice on elliptical bending jigs, heading rivets, etc.

I have finally completed the commission that I have been working on.
Here's some pics:

Hearth Rack

1000834j.jpg

1000840u.jpg

The tools:

Shovel
1000818s.jpg

Tongs
1000822j.jpg

Poker
1000826g.jpg

Broom
1000829n.jpg

And here it is all together:

1000848g.jpg

1000856w.jpg

This is undoubtedly the hardest job I have taken on to date. This is all hand work; no power hammer. Most of the frame is 1/2" x 1" and the lower cross-members are 1" square. I forged a decorative groove down the center of each piece, so every inch of it has been through the forge.

More so than a power hammer, I found myself desperately needing a set-up table. I had to do all of my assembly on a thin sheet of steel over a piece of plywood with a couple 90º welder’s magnets. Bigger shop or not, I will soon have a steel table to work on.

All the tools were from 7/16” stock, except the tongs. They were forged down from ½”.

The shovel was done free-hand using a 4” Kelly-bar coupler as a second anvil (no swage).

This was my first go at tying a broom (my profit margin would have taken a big hit if I had hired it done), but it looks alright… at least the customer thought so.

I had to write this one off as a major training exercise to justify the time I put into it versus my quoted price. I am left with quite a pile of re-do’s in my scrap heap, but the experience and knowledge gained was worth it.

Nice! Good design and execution. If that was your first broom to tie then you did good! I took the class from Jeff Mohr at the ABANA Conf. in Memphis--2010...best $25.00 I spent at the conf. as it showed me the $25.00 I pay to have a broom tied is CHEAP!!!! there is a pic of the broom in my gallery here; http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/19478-fireplace-set-using-12sq/ Great job and thanks for posting!

Great broom Thomas. I definitely need to learn the proper way to tie one.

Mine set me back $4.00... that's what I paid for a new, cheap WalMart kitchen broom that I took apart and used for the the straw.

I tried to get some broom corn on short notice, but it didn't happen, so I had to go this route.

Great broom Thomas. I definitely need to learn the proper way to tie one. Mine set me back $4.00... that's what I paid for a new, cheap WalMart kitchen broom that I took apart and used for the the straw. I tried to get some broom corn on short notice, but it didn't happen, so I had to go this route.

Don, that broom is hand tied and I get to pick the colors of the twine! cost $25.00, tied on my handle and he will tie them and I can pick up the same day. He lives in Oklahoma but I catch him on First Monday Trades Day in Canton, TX. Great guy and beautiful brooms. I have had to resort to the small wisk brooms for a few of my fp set as he was nursing his wife through a bout of cancer, (she has recovered and he is back to doing the brooms again)