I Forge Iron

Smithing Magician

Thanks Bear & JWB
That helps Ive got it about the right size.
I am also wondering if it should set center of the anvil?
I cut the sides from an I beam almost 1/2 in. thick and have an old blade from a road grader thinking about making the dies out of it- also 1/2 thick.
Im gona try cutting with a torch 2 in strip from the blade and then heating in forge to flatten.

Is 1/8 in heavy enough for the bottom plate that sits on the anvil?

I may end up with a big mess
Maybe I should have bought new materail instead of junkin
Ron

I built a smithing magician type tool (different design) and after a week had beat it to death, literally. I rebuilt the same design and used 1/2" stock materials everywhere. The 1-1/4 round bar I used for the hammer striking surface mushrooms like the top of a chisel does, so I keep it dressed on a regular basis. This is a consumable item and can be replaced if needed.

Attach the hardie post so the impact area is kept over the heavy part of the anvil.

the one I made was 3/8 plate on the bottom and 1 inch angle iron to hold the dies. Should have used thicker angle, reinforced the small stuff with bar stock mig welded in place.

Still trying to figure the best shape for the dies. I used a spring fuller most of the time, was thinking of making round and square dies to use in the guilotine. what shapes get used the most in the work of others?

Im trin to go heavy duty with what I have on hand- its all out of 1/2 in.
I cut from an I beam.
The dies are cut from a roadgrader blade-man was that some rank stuff to cut with a torch PU!
The grader blade has a good amount of carbon in it ( sparks when grinding)
the dies are 2 in. wide X 1/2 in. thick & will weld on some mild steel on top.
I need to cut a base plate and ready to weld it together
I will cut the dies into and shape after its together.

Ron