I Forge Iron

Buffalo Blower: Air and Stand Attachments

bajajoaquin

Does anyone have any detail pictures of how you have your Buffalo Forge hand-crank blower set up? Mine doesn't have any lugs for obvious mounting to a stand, but there is a flange on the air outlet that I suspect is used to attach to the air hose.

I had planned on using the bolts that attach each half of the housing together to mount to my stand, and then fab up some sort of outlet flange. But if anyone can show me some existing systems, that would be great.

Thanks!

Most crank blowers have a space that you can clamp a piece of duct or hose or soft pipe to, sorta like a muffler slip joint, as opposed to a flange that gets bolted.

On the bottom of my Lancaster is a boss/ring that a single large bolt goes through. I don't know what a buffalo would have.

I have seen pictures where a rigid pipe is used for the duct, with the clamped joint supporting the blower.

I tried posting pictures of my blower, but am getting errors...

Phil

Thanks. That thread had a comment by Frank Turley, "I have 13 Buffalo fan blowers and they're all different." Seems to be the case here, too. Phil is right, I used the wrong terminology. What I was calling a "flange" is a lip or an edge or something. I had planned on making some kind of C-channel to match that would slide on to the outlet.

Not realizing that they were all different, I thought others' Buffalo setups might be more helpful. But here's a picture of mine, and perhaps someone has something out there that is similar and can provide detail photos. Stewart, thanks for the pic, but I couldn't really see detail in it.

Otherwise, I'm no worse off than I was before, with a little bit of hemming and hawing to do to get it blowing air!

BuffaloForgeBlower.jpg

Ok, I have never seen a square output before, but I am not very surprised.

My solution to the duct on my blower was to stitch up some canvas and plastic into a tube that I clamped on as it conforms to size and shape, but my Lancaster has a stand already. My canvas duct has drawbacks, as it will twist and kink easily, but being cotton drop cloth it resists sparks well, and the plastic lining keeps the air in nicely. I went to the canvas duct because I move my kit out to the drive every time I use it, and I tore up too much dryer duct.

If you make your channel into a square tube clamshell that grips the lip neatly, possibly with some flat stock clamping on the top with nuts and bolts, then take that to the shape and size you need for your tue (3 inch round?) you will probably be in business quick. Build your stand or attachment off the box you just built. You can probably bolt through the pieces of channel (or weld), a little care and some paint will cure minor air leaks.

I know blowers weigh a bunch (40# or more). Make sure the area you clamp to is strong enough to support the weight and your cranking.

Alternately, you could cut a hole the size of the inside of the output in the channel, then fab some clamps to bolt the lip to the channel and go from there.

Phil

Thomas, you described what I was imagining. More like a V channel on its side than a C channel.

I had originally planned on a separate stand, because I was only going to use the rivet forge temporarily until I build a bigger forge. But I'm looking more seriously at getting an induction forge sooner than planned, so I may be sticking with the rivet forge for longer: that would imply mounting to the forge.

Why do you ask? What are the ramifications of the decision?

• 4 weeks later...

Never have seen that style either! If you require a stand, get a truck brake drum as the base. It won't move. They are VERY heavy.

I don't mean a pickup truck either. I mean a truck. 16.5 inch I.D. by 7 or 9 inches across. That will hold you and they have that flange with all the bolt holes too!!! I have several if you care to drive over and get one. Any truck shop will have them, or visit a salvage yard.