I Forge Iron

Isaac Hill Birmingham

Picked up an anvil yesterday that I bought on Ebay. Only paid £56.00 (approx $90.00) so I didn't ask too many questions about it. Weight marks are 3 0 15 indicating 351 lbs in fairly decent condition apart from a couple of small chips on the far edge, rings true with an excellent rebound, better than my working anvil so a change is on the cards. It looks a bit smaller but weighs about 50lbs more.
On the side is marked I
HILL
birmingham
I did a bit of googling and found Isaac Hill made anvils and such about 200 years ago in Digbeth Birmingham. If anybody knows anything about these anvils I would love to know.

From memory (Anvils in America is at home), Hill made anvils through about 1850. Can you post a picture? They tended to be an older-style, with a similar look to a Mousehole. They didn't seem to change over style to match the Peter Wright look that came to be so clearly identified as the "London" pattern.

Is this correct?

If it has a pritchel, according to Postman, it should date between 1830 and 1850. Of course, if they just didn't ship to the US after about 1850, it may be newer. YMMV.

I picked up a Hill about a year or so ago. 186 pounds. I like it.

I have taken a couple of photos but I will have to learn how to post them as I have never posted any.It has a pritchel at the front near the cutting table which has been drilled to a depth of around 2 inches. It is a London pattern but not as elegant as a PW, more squat, but surprisingly heavier than it looks, Thanks for the replies, I shall try to post the photos.

• 2 weeks later...
Cherish that squat look! It means that the sweet spot on the face is enhanced and the anvil is more suitable for heavy work than the "ethereal" American version of the London Pattern anvil from the late 19th century!

I agree with that, Thomas. My Hay-Budden's narrow waste reduces the sweet spot to a fraction of the anvil's face. Why did they do that?

Why did they breed horses for "daintier" feet that now have lots of problems with the weight and size of the modern horse?

The ethereal anvil shape is certainly handy for a lot of ornamental work; just not so handy for heavy hammering with strikers.

To quote Big Trouble in Little China "Marry them Both!" My Fisher is a squat anvil and my Trenton is more gracile.