I Forge Iron

Hello From Michigan

justwondering01

Stumbled on this site while trying to educate myself about blacking smithing. My 11 year old wants to learn how to do black smithing. Of course, as all 11yr olds do, he wants to make a sword. I told him that sword making was the pinnacle of black smithing and would require years of learning. That didn't put him off so now its time to start the adventure. I plan on building the 55 gallon forge with him over Christmas break and he is going to get coal in his stocking. I bought him a 100 pounds from a local supplier. Any way, I have already learned a lot from reading all of your posts and look forward to learning more. I am now on the hunt for a suitable anvil. But for now, we will be using a chunk of railroad track we got from a friend.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Good for you! Check out this site; www.abana.org and find the group nearest you and the JOIN! most ABANA groups will have a monthly meeting and encourage newbies. Open forges are often the norm at these and are an excellent way to learn "hands on" for experience smiths. It's exciting to see fathers helping their sons learn and you two are about to embark on a fantastic journey together in learning this craft. Once again, welcome.

Welcome to IFI and your new hobby/habit. My son wanted to get into blacksmithing and after building our own forge I am now the sole hobby blacksmith in the family. He is 26 and has moved away. You and your son should have many great years of hovering over hot iron together. I have a brakedrum 55 forge and use it constantly. Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions.

Mark <><

• 2 weeks later...