I Forge Iron

Handle to blade transition question

Hi everyone, I recently carved and fitted a cherry handle on my first O1 steel forged blade. I'm really happy with how everything is turning out so far, but I am stumped at how to transition nicely from the handle to the blade. As you can see in the pictures, I left space for some kind of guard or shim or filler or something, but I'm at at a loss at what to do at this point. I thought I'd post pics and see if any of you experts had some suggestions. Thanks in advance for your input fellas!

post-16256-0-72826400-1323736923_thumb.jpost-16256-0-09144900-1323737023_thumb.jpost-16256-0-86475700-1323737077_thumb.j
post-16256-0-67628200-1323737148_thumb.j
Lodestone

If the handle is epoxied in place enjoy it like it is. The guard has to go on before the handle material.How that all goes together is 'splained better than I am willing to type in here in most of the how to do it knife books. It is also in the catalog from at least one knife making supply house. K and G.

Fitting a guard really starts in the design phase of blade makeing. Plan ahead for a guard and it is not a big challenge.

If the handle is epoxied in place enjoy it like it is. The guard has to go on before the handle material.How that all goes together is 'splained better than I am willing to type in here in most of the how to do it knife books. It is also in the catalog from at least one knife making supply house. K and G.

Fitting a guard really starts in the design phase of blade makeing. Plan ahead for a guard and it is not a big challenge.

Hi Rich, thanks for the quick reply. I haven't actually epoxied or pinned yet, the handle is just snugly-fitted to the steel right now and it can slide on and off at this point. So I can still easily take it off to do whatever it takes to install a guard. I'll have to look into picking up one of those knife books... so far i've just been going off posts on here along with trial and error.

Thanks again,

Lodestone

Looks like you need to shape the guard with a curve to it to match the fore end of the grip: could forge a steel or a forgable bronze or even use something like a corian guard that could be rasped to fit. Really hard core would be to sand cast a guard to fit; a bit easier would be to cast pewter in place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...