I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

Hello All,

I'm new to the site (see my intro here) http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f23/hello-pacific-northwet-2512/ and would like to find out something about my small 40# anvil. I got it for $5 at a garage sale and it works reasonable well in my small garage "shop". I'm later going to acquire my fathers 150# anvil, but this one will have to do for now.

This anvil has the name Fisher stamped into it and a date 1895 on it as well. Could it be that old? Here are a couple pictures. Do any of you know what the history would be with this beat up thing?

1779.attach

1780.attach

Yep, according to the book Fisher cast the year in most of their anvils. Your anvil is cast iron with a steel face and horn. You probably have noticed that your anvil doesn't "ring" like most anvils. That is because of the cat iron body.

The book? I'd be interested in looking at that. I think it is worth the price I paid for what I'm using it for. Perhaps later I'll have a real anvil. :) Thanks for the info.

The book? I'd be interested in looking at that.

He is most likely referring to "Anvils in America" by Neil Postman. It's a great book. I poured over a copy for a few months after I picked up my anvil. I snagged it through Inter Library Loan. It's really great reading with some very interesting stories to boot.