I Forge Iron

Masks under masks

Okay, I'm cutting aluminum all day & I'm supposed to start welding pieces together tomorrow. Time to get new respirator(s) ! Pronto! No more fooling around. Already went to Lowe's & they don't sell "boo" for filters I'll need. Time to hit the catalogs for my "make due" solution (masks under masks) until I can find a more permanent one. RRRgh!

What are you guys wearing when you have to work in aluminum &/or stainless steel. Advice ???

Fumes from either alum or stainless are not a problem IF you are welding in the TIG process. Stick welding Stainless is where you get into the Hexv.-chrome problems and there is a whole list of stuff that OSHA requires. We no longer weld stainles using SMAW, only GTAW. (We are a Fortune 500 chemical company) Like Clinton mentioned, the 3M products are good and easy to find, most welding supplies will have something in store or can order for you.

Here is the publication by 3M on their website to help folks decide which mask and filters fit their needs. The pamphlet describes for welding that they recommend the choice to be either a reusable mask of the 3M 7500 series, or a choice of two disposable masks. Four filters for the reusable masks are described in the pamphlet. Based upon the reviews that I read, I have ordered a 3M 7503 mask (the 3 standing for large size) and the 2097,P100 filters. I found the mask on Amazon for $22.79 and a pair of filters for $6.98 with free shipping. Based upon my experience with older 3M masks/filter combinations, the masks sold by 3M for welding just seem to keep getting better.

http://solutions.3m....ibute=ImageFile

Just my opinion, mileage may vary.

Why do you think you need a resperator? Are you working in a closet?. Any space with cross flow ventilation will supply enough flow. If not, use a small fan to pull in fresh air. Tig welding is the cleanest of all open air welding. Keep about 15 to 20 CFM argon flow and keep the breeze off your puddle and no resperator is necessary. Read your msds that comes with your rod or ask for one at the weld supply. I have spent hrs welding using a resperator and I would not wish that on anyone. Stick welding stainless is a whole different ball game where air filtration is a must.