I Forge Iron

pattern welded billet for a knife

jeremy k

Here is a pattern welded billet i was playing around with the other day. I'm thinking of making a drop point hunter style with a flat grind. I will weld on the mat'l for the handle core, so as to save/use as much as the pattern I can. It's 136 layers of 1084/15N20. Looking for suggestions on handle scale mat'ls that may match up with the pattern?

post-280-0-40588200-1322709814_thumb.jpg

Looking for suggestions on handle scale mat'ls that may match up with the pattern?

So you're going to weld on a plain steel tang and then use a full tang design? It's just a matter of personal taste, but I'm not a huge fan of that two-tone look.

Figured wood -- curly walnut, curly maple, curly koa, something like that -- seems like a pretty good match for the pattern.

Very nice PW, by the way.

Jeremy,
You been praktisin'!! :D Very nice in deed.
My 2 cents: On a pattern welded blade, I like to see a handle that is simple; little grain or texture (not too simple) so as to not detract your eyes from the beauty of the blade, although, drawing ones eyes away from that blade will be difficult :)

• 3 weeks later...