I Forge Iron

Is this anvil any good?

Hi, I just recently began looking into blacksmithing as a hobby and would like to purchase an anvil. Being new, I can't recognize a good anvil like you guys can! It is listed as approximately 140 lbs and is $320. The seller says that it rings when hit so it might be steel. He also thinks it might be from the early 1900s. Any opinions would be much appreciated. :)

post-23203-0-26056700-1322636235_thumb.j post-23203-0-72178000-1322636250_thumb.j post-23203-0-04550700-1322636262_thumb.j post-23203-0-31983900-1322636273_thumb.j

Perhaps a tad pricey - I picked up my last anvil in WI (156 lb trenton ) for 300$ - I'd see if they would come down on the price a tad. But it looks like a nice anvil. Hay-Budden or trenton ( trenton-clone ) Look on the side of the anvil ( with the horn to your right ) and you might find a makers mark. Also there may be a set of numbers on the feet under the horn. They would / could be the serial number and weight. Don't worry about the age of the anvil. That really has no affect on the price ( to a blacksmith, a collector on the other hand....) Looks like it was recently cleaned/ wire brushed then coated with wd40/ oil. Face looks good and smooth, and the edges look ok, not great, but should be fine.

Note that anvil prices are *still* location specific. That price (2.29 $/#) might be a bit high for Ohio and not bad for New Mexico. If you edit your profile to show *your* general location on your posts we could address the price better.

It looks in very good condition and of the type of anvil that should ring---not all do. It is a convenient size (and so often a bit higher in price than ones that are not a "one man carry"---however I suggest you start thinking of your back NOW and not after you've already trashed it like so many smiths have!)

Would be a good anvil for knifemaking---clean face or smaller ornamental work---sledges and 1"+ sq stock would be a bit much on it. (note that it's a late american style so the sweet spot is smaller than on something with an old english style, but the enhanced horn and the heel are quite handy for decorative work.)