I Forge Iron

Hand-held Pneumatic Forging

ldezem

I'm amazed that no has mentioned EA Chase of Santa Cruz, CA., who was using air hammers in his sculpture years ago. I watched his CBA demo in Watsonville, CA. about 10 yrs ago and it was a revelation. Can't remember others preceding him, but am sure there must have been.
Pneumatics are certainly another tool in the arsenal. I use them for upsetting, especially on stock w/tenons. The hydraulic press makes a great vise. If it's a big tenon (1"), as in one that's going to used for andirons etc, it will usually take two of us to hold/push on the pneumatic hammer with the piece being held in the 60 t press.I can't even imagine how many heats/labor it would take to do it by hand. We also use a cupped tool on the gun to round/ peen the tenon for the finish.
John

nuge - i totaly agree - the difference is that you have complete access from all angles with the tools he is using, the subtleties of what he can are much greater than power hammer. this method certainly gives him something extra, an extra Tool definately. i like what he does and watching it is cool. i am amazed he does not need to hold the work down somehow, he seems to have enough control...
but like bob just said, the vibration is an issue that you dont have in a stand alone machine - really sorry to hear about your hand bob- i know even from using chainsaws and cutters that the vibrations can be damaging, even with anti vibration devices. we cant damage our hands you lot!!!

One clarification, repousee is first sinking from the back and then chasing the front, which is what the guy was doing eventhough power was used and without typical chasing tools. Due to the thickness of the material no pitch is required. :)

Mr. Chase is a amazing sculptor and indeed at the forefront of surface deformation, almost every inch of his metalwork is forged!

Using these tools are going to be detrimental to your physical well being, but the other 95% of the tools in my shop are as well, Its amazing smiths grow old at all.

Jesse's work is very creative, some is really out there, I liked the tong series.

Idezem, I have never designed or built a chair, when do I receive my prize!

One clarification, repousee is first sinking from the back and then chasing the front, which is what the guy was doing eventhough power was used and without typical chasing tools. Due to the thickness of the material no pitch is required. :)

Thank you everyone for sending input other smiths working in the same or near similar style. If someone has any links to videos etc. I'd sure like to have a look. Calling this style as repousee is now voted up. People seem quite confident that it is not forging. There seems little if any clarification to the on the subject here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repouss%C3%A9_and_chasing and also the text kinda suggets it is only used for malleable metals.

... ...Idezem, I have never designed or built a chair, when do I receive my prize!

DD you have to wait until the that competition starts early next year.

....Another set of hands would be useful, I bet he has a helper around somewhere.

There was a student at the smithy but thats not typical. Jesse has developed the technique into the direction that he can work solo.

... Even repousee is forging, just more detail carved onto the front with chasing tools which can be done cold.

Ok. We really need to build a dictionary. Those things are translated in Finnish as "Taonta" (forging) and "Pakotus" (Repousee). The groups of artisans etc. who specialize in repousee have their own gilds etc. and ofter are goldsmith by their formal training. Blacksmith can work making elements for gates etc. from thin metal plates and make shapes with repusee but will most likely contact persons specialized in that for such projects.

Artists are often exclusionists "Our work is repousee, your work is just blacksmithing". Blacksmiths are often inclusionists---"it's all moving metal by the application of force". Though some blacksmiths will get picky over hand hammering and powered hammering often ignoring the fact that the triphammer is over 1000 years old and a "traditional" blacksmiths shop *ALWAYS* had several helpers to strike for the master smith.

I have not had a chance to try it out yet but, one of the tools my dad left me is an air powered palm nailer. He bought it to try to use in auto body work by making and using different bits for tight hard to reach places. I thought it might fit nicely in forging. Comments? (other than "an air chisel will do the same thing") They run faster than the palm nailer and I think the nailer inherently hits harder

post-38-0-19968600-1322836786_thumb.jpg

Who was the Father/Sons team who wrote the article in Anvil's ring 20 years ago on this?...I recall the company name was "By Hammer and Hand" or some such.
I also recall the father died 10 or so years ago.
It was a good article...in two parts I think.

Ric