I Forge Iron

Bib Overalls

I am looking to get a pair of Carhartt bib overalls, and i was wondering if it is neccesary to get the fireproof ones. The regular ones are about $70, and the fireproof ones are like $140. I'm not sure, but I don't think the regular ones will catch on fire real easily.. I would also use them for welding too.
Thanks

As a hobby smith I've tended to buy my bibs at the thrift store. Haven't had a set get tossed due to fire damage yet; but I've only been doing this a bit over 30 years. If you wear a leather apron for forge welding and angle grinding you should have no problems.

I can't speak to arc welding though.

Welders have worn all cotton shirts and all cotton jeans for decades....or at least here in the East Texas oil patch and none have 'burned up' from normal use. The only serious injuries I'm aware of are those where they have been involved in explosions caused by welding...pretty rare. The "Fire Retardant" clothing are more hype....IMO...than anything. Most are not cleaned properly to retain their fire retardant properties. I have been required to wear the "FR" coveralls at my day job for the past 15 or so years and after the first 2-3 washings they seem to be like any other all cotton clothing I have worn in the past....and yes, they too burn... Good startched cotton clothes retard sparks better than any of the so called "FR" clothing I have had to wear. Just wear a good leather apron and good quality all cotton clothes and you should not have problems....but then if you are working in a foundry all bets are off!!!! :P

Well it can be pretty fun wearing a flannel shirt and having the fuzz whoosh; but if you don't freak out it generally doesn't cause any harm and is probably good for your heart.

An old trick was soaking your cloth apron in a borax solution making it fire resistant and helping it clean up in the wash better since borax is sold as a laundry additive!

I have been wearing the Carhart Bibs or pants for welding at work for around 15 years now. I get the ones with the double layer on the front of the legs. Getting real hard to find ones that are made in the US now, but if you look hard you can find them (the ones made in Mexico do not fit the same). I have not burned myself up yet with just the regular ones and I have done some structural welding along the way, welding with around 250 amps (pretty hot)