I Forge Iron

Good Buy??

Would this anvil be a good buy? It is a Fisher anvil, looks to be older model. He says it's 135 lbs, looks to be in rougher shape. This would be my first anvil, and i would be using it to make knives. Is it a good deal? and if i go look at it, what should i look for? Thanks

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2721143339.html

thats not to bad i would see if you can haggle with him some but it looks like there is plenty of usable face left on that anvil and the hardy hole looks to be in good shape
that is a not half bad price just my op though if you could get that for 50 or so it would be a very good deal

yep, i did. It's a little rough, but it's usable. I believe the date says it was made in 1873. The man i bought it from was about 60 some years old, and he said it was his fathers. He was pretty firm on the price, but I got it for $70. I think it'll clean up good with a wire brush and some time. Is it ok to use like 100 grit sandpaper on the face?? i would like to get it real smooth, although it is already pretty smooth.