I Forge Iron

Anyone know what this tool is?

The 6 is plain as day in the center of the rotating part on the base plate, in the well enlarged photograph.

the 3 is on the edge of the slide that is engaged to the rotating part with the 6.

The (moving?) part below the rotating part mounted upright in the original photo has a number on it as well, but I cannot make it out. I would guess a 5.

Very interesting piece there.

Phil

unless im a complete idiot ive seen the modern version of that thing. I used to work in a sheet metal shop fabricating duct work and we had a gadget just like that on a smaller scale... much smaller. any way if it is the same thing its a metal brake. the piece with what appears to be a 6 on it on our machine adjuster the lower break plate for the thickness of metal and severity of brake, crank it down and it would act as a shear and as you loosen it you would get varying degrees of break. loosen the bolt in the slotted hole and make your adjustment and tighten it again, and the smaller piece that is contacted by the larger vertical handle is the "blade" that gets pressed down when you rotate the handle.
bear in mind the one we had at the shop was MUCH smaller than that and MUCH newer, but looks like the twin to that puppy. with the size of that thing and the angle of the lower "break plate" it looks like the device what could have been used to cut the leaf springs for my 29 model A and even plow blades perhaps. ours was a quarter that size and could handle up to 7/16 galvanized plate.

It is a device for welding the landside to the plowshare.

Patent number: 633921
Filing date: Dec 15, 1898
Issue date: Sep 26, 1899

I have a picture of the patent drawing, but don't know how to post pictures on here since all the "improvements" to the site.

• 1 month later...