I Forge Iron

New to blacksmithing

Hello all,

I have always been interested in blacksmithing and now that I can afford to start, I would like to get into it, but I don't even know how to begin. I don't know any places to buy the stuff I would need to start up besides Ebay maybe. Anything anyone could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Olfiar,

There are many features of this site that will help you get started. Unfortunately, they (the site admin) are in the process of updating and adding new features to the site. Once working correctly again, there are loads of what we in IFI land call Blueprints available to help you. Many of the the BP's (Blueprints) are geared toward people new to the craft. I myself have benefitted greatly from the info. available here.

-Hang tight, wait on the updates, and then start reading the BP's.

-Search the ABANA website for an affiliate chapter in your area. There may be active members of this site near you that I'm sure would be glad to help you get started, or even "try it, before you buy it" so you don't spend your money for nothing.

-Once you find what you need to start, don't be shy and get started, even if on a small scale.

Good luck, welcome to the site, and feel free to ask questions.

GO TO THE LIBRARY AND GET THE ART OF BLACKSMITHING BY ALEX W. BEALER. YOU MAY EVENTUALLY BUY IT.
TO GET STARTED:GET A HAMMER, LARGE CHUNK O'DENSE MATTER (or an anvil), LONG PIECE OF STEEL [REBAR WERK'S no tongs needed] BUILD A FIRE
HEAT THE LONG PIECE OF STEEL THEN BEAT THE FIRE OUT OF IT!
U R NOW DOOMED TO BE A BLACKSMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your replies. After looking at a few books online, I see that I have to have a gas forge that way I won't upset any of my neighbors. I'm hoping to maybe find a gas forge and an anvil at the flea market. If not, what kind of stores would I be able to find an anvil at?

I would find a local club (again ... look on the ABANA web site for clubs in your state) and attend their next meeting. When you get there, introduce yourself to the host, and let them know that you are new to the craft. In our club, Jim Carothers or another senior member will usually take some time after the demonstrations to work through a beginner demo with you. That's how I made my first "J hook".

olfiar,
I would suggest that in addition to all of the other excellent suggestions, I would also suggest that you also contact the "Rocky Mountain Smiths" Colorado Smiths. They are all around you. They are a good group of Smiths.
I know they would be of great help.

Olifar,
if you go to a local chapter of ABANA you'll probably find a lot of things you need can be made there, and the members will probably have contacts for the tools you can't. Don't buy anything yet, go and see a Smith at work, get an idea of wether this is somthing that really grabs you first, then set about getting all tooled up.