I Forge Iron

Its a good thing I have a good strong heart.......

Or I may have had a big un' yesterday at the flea market...I stopped to look for old used files and such and spyed a pedal grinder from afar..So I went to look. On the same trailer was a Trenton anvil(100 pounder) a nice 5" cloumbian post vise, a champion 40 blower and a old cross peen hammer...I thought I may buy the vise..Didnt really need it but one both ends of the shop have one..May as well have on in the middle right? Well I ask "How much for the columbian vise"? He looks at me funny, of course it turns out he dosnt know the make,size or anything about any of the tools so I tell him..
Well finally I enquire about the vise again and he says it part of the whole shop..I say "what shop?"....Well the one on the trailer..turns out hes calling the blower a forge and calling it an "Entire Blacksmiths shop"...
Again heres what he had...
*100 pound Trenton anvil with hot cut hardy
* 2 lb cross peen
* Pedal grinder
* 5" columbian post vise
* champion 40 blower
Well I ask how much for the "shop"? I was thinking, hey I can part it out to smiths who can actually use it....his answer.......Wait for it...........$4500
Yes.....$4500

I really had no words, I stood there slack jawed for what seemed like an eternity and just walked away shaking my head...I thought maybe I should educate him but he was clearly the type of guy who didnt want to hear what his stuff was really worth..

Its time like that where my lack of impulse control and outspokenness hurt peoples feelings.

Really normally mine would too..Im kinda famous for that, my wife even helps keep it in check but I was just so flabbergasted I couldent form words in my mouth :blink: I was literally speechless..

I kinda felt the same way this past summer when I ran into someone selling a 35lb fisher saw anvil and 4 hammer set on a rickety wooden stand for 2500 dollars....I said ok thank you and went over to the other table and bought a 4-5 foot long 3 man tongs for 60 bucks

WOW!!! What a deal!! :wacko: I hope that he didn't find some sucker that didn't know any better. :ph34r:

No he left with it, I saw that...I really believe he knows that its only worth a fraction of that..Hes just looking for some poor sucker like you said..

When I first got started in smithing, I put ads in several local papers looking for tools. Most people who called me were reasonable, even if a bit high; I occasionally got a few deals - but the one I remember was the guy who had a wood framed forge with a home made firepot. It was pretty old and had been lined with cement at one time but most of it was cracked and broken. When I saw it, I'd already concluded it wasn't worth much even if he gave it away for free but I asked anyway. He hemmed and hawed, finally asking what I had to trade. I didn't have anything so asked again what was the cash price? His straight-faced response was $2500...I smiled, shook his hand and left.

There was a guy up north of me selling a glass blowing Furnace that was made in Germany, it really was a spectacular Furnace, nice deep pit for glass collection, but it was missing the Torch, honestly well worth the 1k even missing that. I just couldnt bring myself to buy it because i would bee forced to cut holes in it for longer stock. We all want something cheaper than what the asking price is, and the people selling it want the world for something that frankly in some cases is trash. I used to rail against prices and sometimes still do, but in the long run its the worth to the person buying it that matters.

if a fool will pay that price then he has too much money and needs to spend it.... it is too bad that they think they will actually get someone to pay that price tho. ive seen stuff like that on craigs list .. one item has been on sale there for over two years at the same really high price and gets renewed every week or so...if i could get that kind of prices for my tools ide sell um in a heartbeat!

I tend to just burst out laughing at prices like that and tell them that they musty want that stuff a whole lot more then I do. When they counter that you can't get that stuff at a cheaper rate I will often spend a bit of time telling them the deals I have gotten for the same stuff---often in better condition---in the same general area and walk off.

Nowadays I often get people telling me e-bay prices (especially the buy it now price---which generally has nothing to do with the actual selling price). I tell them they should sell their stuff on e-bay; but they say they don't want the hassle. I hate to tell them but the hassle is part of the price on e-bay, selling local at a fleamarket *should* be cheaper!

I'm lucky that I am pretty tooled up right now and so don't *need* to buy anything as I seen what I consider a pricing bubble occurring with prices going up just because other people are asking more but not necessarily getting more!

Francis, maybe some, but American Pickers has only had a few short seasons. The prices of this good "rusty stuff" has been climbing to rediculous prices before they came on. Ebay, yes, and they have driven CR prices up as well as the estate and live auction prices. And let's don't forget the 'collectors', they have had a large part of the prices going crazy.