I Forge Iron

Hey bro, umm your on fire...

Hayden H

As the topic states I set my jeans on fire. I was using the shops plasma cutter on a small peice. I put it close to the edge so I could steady my hand on my leg. It was going good then my leg started to get hot, I thought nothing of it. Until my friend stated I was on fire. I kinda was like, "What? OH XXXX!!" So I learned my lesson of don't lean on the table, and wear the apron I was given for that specific purpose.

After a long career as a pipe welder I have gotten burned in many situations. Usually the spark will go out quickly, and can be ignored while you keep on welding, If however, you set your clothes on fire, do stop welding, and put it out. If you were torch cutting and a piece of hot metal finds it's way down your collar, or in the waist band of your jeans, that too requires IMMEDIATE attention , it wont just go out! At the anvil be aware of where EVERY punch-out falls, Every one!

Hey Rusty- you ever weld inside a pipe? I did some welds inside 54 inch pipe, you get sparks flyin in from all sides. Had to skate in there on a creeper about half a mile- good times I will tell you what. One of the only times I had to drag up, I went into the office at the end of the day and told them to mail my check and hire a replacement and the guy said something about "burning my briges" I told him burning is too slow, blowing them up is my method.
Stop, drop and roll!!!!

Clinton: Thanks for bringing up Stop Drop and Roll!!! When I was welding in Kodiak a fellow started cutting on a barrel that he had NO IDEA what was in it. He went up in flames and started running. A fellow who was very fast and athletic tackled him and rolled but it was too late: He didn't make it!!! So-for those of you who hadn't heard it-listen to Clinton... STOP DROP AND ROLL!!!