I Forge Iron

Any do's and dont's for moving a Little Giant

I move mine with a forklift and a sling through the "C" part of the frame. Seems to be a good balance point for my hammer. Its an old style 100 pounder. When I bought it, I transported it laying down. It had been totally taken apart so it was the frame and boxes of parts. I don't think I would transport an assembled one laying down unless it was well supported on the frame to protect the clutch mech. Remember, the anvil is heavy. Its not as top heavy as one might think especially if the motor is removed.

do not lift by the main shaft, do not let the flywheel or clutch support weight. for long moves over bad roads removing the main shaft lowers the center of gravity even more, but the shaft and it's dependents will need to be cradled carefully.

*ALWAYS* have a way to safely lift it on and off the truck and trailer. use multiple binders to hold it in position so failure of one won't cause catastrophic failure.

I had a friend try to tilt out a 250# LG once. After it shifted while he was next to it trying to find out where it was sticking he followed my advice and hired a semi wrecker to come move it into place for a pittance! (I still claim he teleported from the bed to the roof of the cab---I saw no sign of him between the start and end point!)

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/24212-the-bradley-has-landed/page__hl__bradley__fromsearch__1
Four chains and four binders will keep the hi-way patrol happy. This is a properly secured load. Most hammers balance well when picked up in the "C" area of the frame, if there is a motor mounted this may throw it off balance and you may want to remove the motor to make things easier.

the most important thing as in moving any big machinery is dont rush, THINK about what your doing before you do it, go over your actions in your head before you commit.

I have a couple horror stories of guys moving/lifting hammers wrong, but thats a different topic.

Its not rocket science, but you need to have the proper equipment. If the ground is uneven or dirt I would get an all-terrain fork lift that is rated for the load. Keep your load low until you you are in position to place it on the truck or trailer. Slow steady movement of the controls- no herky-jerky. An experienced operator can go a long way