I Forge Iron

Had a hard day at the forge so far, i started by making a new spring fuller that i am quite happy with. then i decided to start a couple hawks, there is where the problem starts.... what kind...how big....what steel....maybe WI? well i settled on some 3/4" mild that i would weld a bit into, i went to drill the holes to line up the slitter and broke 2 drill bits, oops, then forgot the mild in the fire when my mom called me into the house for a minute...great start all over, then i couldnt stick the weld... finally weld was done went to slit and my slitter cracked, drift....what drift? i dont have a hawk drift yet.... i give up come inside and now am typing this....
Josh the frustrated :/

Have you figured out "why" the drill bits and slitter broke?

well i got the bits at a big box store... not great quality but its all i have for now
the slitter blade cracked and the break looks like i quenched it at a little too high of a temp

anyone know a good spot to get a few hawks? i wand a slit and drift hammr poll a slit and drift spike poll and a wrap and weld... so that i can examine them to make more...and play with them of course ;) and i also need a hawk drift where should i get one???

nope... we have nothing within 100kms other than a "flea market" that the local farmers bring product to, i have asked around alot about tools and stuff but nada what i REEEEALLLLLY want is some lessons becaus, as bad at making axes and hawks as i am it is my favvorite thing to make