I Forge Iron

i have a fair bit of copper pipe and wire, as well as some bars, with cold shuts in the sides and i am planning to melt it all down, how should i go about this? i am planning to make a trough of angle iron with the ends welded up, will this work? are there fluxes needed?
many thanks
monty

what are you trying to accomplish? What will you melt it in? What will you melt it with?

an ingot from the pipe and wire,useing a coke forge, in an angle iron trough, i wont be pouring it as i intend to forge it, so it will be staying in the trough till it is cold
thanks

I can tell you copper LOVES iron, to the point that if you use an iron container as a crucible the iron will dissolve into the copper! (Well, I was making mystery brass from assorted scrap) I can tell you from personal experience that having your melt run out the bottom of your crucible is...exciting...sorta.

I had to take apart my forge to get the brass from between the layers of kaowool! It was a good thing I was working on a heat-proof surface and had my hose routed in a safe manner (I was thinking ahead some...) I just walked around, turned the bottle off and came back an hour later. Some things are better that way...walk away and come back when everything is cold, temper included.

I was trying to cast an ingot into a flower pot so I would have a soft cutting plate.

Phil

the cast was successful i melted it in some sort of cap, similar to a small thick walled pan, with a spout chiseled into one side, and a bar welded on, i then made a huge fire, put in said copper, probably about an ounce then put a peice of scrap plate ontop, places some semi charred wood in the "crucible" then built up the fire around it and left it, when i saw a molten mess in the bottom, i blowtorched the angleiron trough with a small propane burner, to evaporate water, and poured it straight in, once it had cooled from a liquid state, i knocked it out, and cooled it off.it wasnt a perfect ingot so i intend to remelt the bad half this afternoon, and hopefully get pics!
thank you for all your help
monty

• 2 weeks later...