I Forge Iron

new sping in a old vice

Bigred1o1

i cant find the post in here to put a thank you in it
but i know i found it in here once on the fact that mild steel when quenched in salt water will make a good spring for a leg vice
i have driven myself nuts trying to reforge some old leaf springs and just not been happy with the shattering or them being to soft and the hassle of trying to take a 3/16th or so by 2inch wide piece of steel and make it into a half inch by inch piece of steel
so anyway i had a perfect fire going today after finishing up some railings and the above comment popped back into my head and 15minets later i have 2 vices with springs in the once more
so thanks again

On a post vise the movement is so small you don't need to heat treat mild steel, you can even bend it cold and get good results.

You are asking for "superquench" which is a concoction of salt, soap, and surfactants which can harden "mild" steel from a high heat (non-magnetic is not hot enough)

http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/quenchants.htm

Phil

lol ok thats even odder Hayden i welded up a small 3 1/2 incher that was my fathers first vice that had the the handle slide snap after 35years today
as well as making new springs
phil i have a 6inch post vice i have set up so i can use it on its side as well as when mounted to the wall so getting a real spring in it means the jaws will now open 6+ inches against gravity so i am a very happy camper

AhHA! Clamping 60# of bucking solidly onto something is very handy at times. I have done that with my post vise.

I have a mild steel spring that is weak but wors fine when the post is vertical. My spring falls out when I unmount the vise so having a more powerful spring kinda moot to me.

Phil

On a post vise the movement is so small you don't need to heat treat mild steel, you can even bend it cold and get good results.

You are asking for "superquench" which is a concoction of salt, soap, and surfactants which can harden "mild" steel from a high heat (non-magnetic is not hot enough)

http://www.anvilfire.../quenchants.htm

Phil

That isn't quite true I tried that it didn't work.

Superquench works best on A-36, not a true mild steel. It will NEVER make it as hard as a properly heat treated high carbon steel. But I have the punch that Rob Gunter forged froma a section of a-36 and quenched in it and used to cut the same piece of stock it was made from without deforming the edge. So it does work.

Please state the case where you found it didn't. With so little information we can't tell if your expectations or your practice were off kilter!