I Forge Iron

Neat old roller

This was given to me by a guy in Pennsylvania that beleived it was used to roll rims for wagion wheels, I think the wheels on the end are not part of the roller but maybe wheels for an old belt drive system, have not been able to find any markings on it yet, I may have to take it off the stand and look on bottom. I do think it is missing some pieces mainly a handle or crank to drive it with. Anyone ever seen one similiar to this?

post-18049-0-84569200-1317860264_thumb.j post-18049-0-78302400-1317860305_thumb.j post-18049-0-05928900-1317860328_thumb.j post-18049-0-95449300-1317860360_thumb.j

It's a tire roller allright. Only thing missing is the hand crank. Right again pullys don't belong to it. neither does the dog.

Thats good to hear I think hand crank wont be too hard to come up with, I am now in a pretty heated custoday battle over it because my wife thinks it was custom made for flower beds lol

I had one loaned to me by an old blacksmith who just couldn't sell any tools, but would loan them. It too was missing the ring handle, so I and a helper set out to roll 3/4" round bar in it to make a 4 spoke wheel, We decided we wanted a wheel with a 4' diameter, so using simple geometry we determined how long the ring circumfrence would be and set out to rolling it, using a crescent wrench for the adjustment tool and roller turner....took about forever, but after MUCH sweat and work it did make a big ring, which we fabbed into a four spoke ring handle centered on a square hole cut in a piece of 1" steel plate. this is NOT a labor saving devise, it will make rings, setting a piece of pipe or solid round on top of the roller between the ring you are rolling and the roller lets you get a smaller dia. ring than the last notch in the machine. I suspect in the old days setting a newbie on to making wagon tires with this machine was the TEST!

Ha Ha i suspect you are right as I just had to try it out myself and it works you out thats for sure, but it does make a nice circle. Great advice for smaller rings, I have been pondering a way to do that with out modifying it. How do you keep the pipe or diameter piece from rolling out? I was kicking around the idea of making a roller that sit in saddles I could just sit on the frame, and clamp in place, any thaughts on that?

Nice roller. make the wife some plant stands with it and you and the ring roller will be in like Flynn. Loveing anything you forge for her is a sure deal, it's part of the deal you know.

Love the dog. Our new Icelandic Sheepdog, Falki is a natural born shop dog. His worst habit in the shop is chewing broken pieces of light fire brick. Goofy pup. I pity folk who don't share life with a dog, we've been family for 40,000 years anyway.

Frosty the Lucky.

So right on the dog, cant imagine not having one. His worst habbit is drinking out of quench tanks lol, plenty of iron in his diet I guess. I worry about his ears sometimes, but I have noticed that he seems to know what is too much and if it gets too loud he will go lay outside.