I Forge Iron

I love my grandpa... but......

joshua.M

he showed up today to my house with a pcture and a peice of 5/8" square high carbon bar that is 4 feet long and wants a swoerd, i have made him 2 knives and some other trinkets because he has helped me get started so much. but i do not think i am ready to make one.... what should i do?

Josh

Be honest with him. Tell him that a sword is well above your skill level and you do not want to give him a dangerous piece that can fail because of your inexperience.

There are a couple of videos in this thread that may help. The first one shows a blade failure and the guy gets hurt by the "professionally" made product he is hocking when it breaks.

http://www.iforgeiro...ng-swordsmiths/

Phil

If you have a good relationship with him I would suggest the honest approach and explain that the project is beyond your current ability. On the other hand if he tends towards the unreasonable end of the sprectrum there is always the option of buying him a swoerd from from a web site such as http://www.museumreplicas.com/

Or if he plans on leaving you 60 million dollars, and not giving him a quality swoerd would result in your being disowned, I would suggest commissioning a swoerd/sword of quality for him. :D

Josh, honesty is always the best answer. Tell your grandfather that, although you are gaining skills as a blacksmith, you just don't feel that you have the skill, yet, to do a good job on a sword. Explain to him that you would have to do a correct heat treatment on the blade, after you get the sword forged and that it takes a lot of learning to get to that point. If you explain it to him, I'm sure that he will understand and probably appreciate your honesty. Good luck. :)

Even if you dont think your skilled enough yet to forge a sword.. are you skilled enough to draw the bar out? I'm not sure what type of blade your thinking of making but you got alot of work befor you befor you can even think of forging in bevels and making a blade out of it. Some of the best pratice I think I've had is trying to keep a 30 inch piece of steel even and straight. If you want a taste of what it's gonna take to forge a sword, forge your bar down to 3/8 or 1/4 by 1 to 1 1/4 (depending on sword type) and from there when the times right you have a good starting point! best of luck

-Michael Lenaghan

Lenaghan basically took the words right out of my mouth.

Since you have already made knives, you already have skills enough to start hammering on that bar to get a decent start on a sword.
Be honest with your Gramps and explain that swords are a bit too far out of your skills, and explain that you'll forge his sword bit by bit as your skills improve.

Either that, or make him a quick and dirty Uruk-Hai sword

Does he really want a sword or does he want you to be able to make a sword because it takes some good skills. By making it for him you are improving your skills with any real downside of pissed of customers.
Rob

That is a fair point. You can run this sword through all kinds of testing and see if it fails, and he may expect that. Gonna have to talk to him about it.

Phil