I Forge Iron

Finally got a new anvil

Bear,
I heard it through the grapevine that somewhere there is a set of instructions that said we are not supposed to lust. Oh well!
I was born in 1940 also. That anvil looks much, much better than I do.
Looks to me like you got your self a prize. Good for ya!
Be safe.
Ted

Quick ship that anvil to *ME* before the "too good to be true" karma truck runs you over!

That's 1 sweet anvil---now tell everyone how you found it.

Thomas

Bought at the cabin fever model engineering expo' s auction(cabinfeverexpo.com). Paid about $2.50 a lb but she was worth it. Cleaned me out. My chin almost hit the ground when i saw a 14-15 year old guy there with a wad of cash as thick as my wallet and they were all 100's( he had to have at least $5k, maybe 10). Actually saw a smaller cannon ball in one of the box lots and in my mind i was thinking- hmmm..... that would make a great tool or something to work on. A lot of melting cauldrons and ladles, something that looked like a flat anvil(no horn and was about 2 ft long- wasnt a rrr track ),plus a ton of other stuff. Saw a large number of older metal lathes- they were going for $200-300 each and now i am seeing them on the local craigslist going for $800 +( same exact ones too).

Sean

"cannon balls" are usually mill balls---from a ball mill. Real cannon balls were traditionally cast iron and so a pain to weld and not too tough as a stake. Mill balls are usually the other way around---hard to weld and very tough.

Of course you buy old mill balls at scrap price and cannon balls at "historical artifact" price...

Thomas

Mill balls are available from at least 2' in diameter down to probably an inch or so.

I bought my first ones at a scrap yard in Fayetteville AR; a freind got his from a ball mill used to pulverize coal in WV.

There is a guy selling a bucket full in Las Cruces NM but wants $5 a piece---too rich for me.

Also fleamarkets...

Thomas

Sources of round balls: I find 1-2" ball bearings at fleamarkets fairly often and pick them up when they are US$1 or less. I also look for the trailer hitches that have a round top rather than a flat also for a dollar or two.

Ask at a crane or dozer rental/repair shop about used large ballbearings

Mill balls I found at the junkyard, fleamarket

Shotputs from used sporting goods stores

Flagpole balls---scrap yard

Ball ends from heavy machinery "ball joints"

My largest "working sphere" is the headache ball from a crane

A friend has a curved section from a *VERY* large valve, SS to boot! that he uses for armouring.

I picked up a globular O2 tank (small) once that I choped the top and bottom off of and welded full of junk to make a ball stake for armouring.

For light duty work we once found several 5 gal buckets of curved cast iron cups and balls used to grind eye glasses---various radii

and finally I was once in the shipping department of my previous co and a fellow had a 3" ball bearing that had been sectioned and etched he was using as a paper weight---it had been left there when the tool and die dept moved out back...he very nicely gave it to me.

Arcwelding on strange possibly high alloy balls requires pre/post heat and generally stainless rod is a good choice.

Thomas

Definately a nice anvil. I saw it at the auction, too, but I didn't have that much to spend. I was mostly checking things out, but I bought a few box lots. I got 4 pairs of tongs in a box of old soldering irons, a bunch of morse taper drill bits and adapters, and a few sets of hold down clamps. I recently bought a camelback drill press so I was looking for tooling. I agree, there were a lot of resellers there, and people with lots of money. Overall the prices were pretty good, though.

Take care of that anvil. It's lasted this long.