I Forge Iron

Moving my new anvil

I have lifted every anvil in my shop. Don't use it unless you can lift it! 400 pounds is a FEATHER! LOL

The guy that I bought my 410 lb Trenton from had a guy bet him that he could lift the anvil, they each gave the bar tender thier cash to hold. The guy could not lift the anvil, quick $100.00.

It isn't expensive to rent an engine hoist if you or an acquaintance doesn't have one. I typically roll my 200lber out the back of my pickup unloading at demos and then get some folk to help me reload it.

Stewart's just joshing but NOT straining yourself when young is more than just valid. Come 40 +/- you're going to feel all those things you did to yourself.

Frosty the Lucky.

Well, it came, and the driver was extremely helpful and experienced in moving heavy things It turned out the truck did have a liftgate and the dolly worked well thereafter. Since then I laminated two by twelve pieces to make an anvil stand, and when I get some time I will move my huge concrete anvil stand out and the new things in.
Thanks all for your help. It's nice to know I can get answers to my sometimes dumb questions, and the answers come so quickly!
Robert

OTOH 4 guys "complained" (B&M) quite a bit when we moved my 515# anvil for a meeting.......

Sounds like some one wasn't putting out.

I have lifted every anvil in my shop. Don't use it unless you can lift it! 400 pounds is a FEATHER! LOL

Stewart is right, if you work alone you should be able to move your own equipment by what ever means you can. But I would like to see the bird that dropped that 400lb feather.LOL

Stewart can I have any anvil you get that you *can't* lift? I don't need a hernia/back issues to prove I am a man. I can use my brain to figure out how to move heavy objects without damaging myself!

I have often loaded fully dressed small block car engines with only myself and another person. These are well in excess of 500lbs, proper lifting techniques are a saving grace. Then again a little "WANT-TO" helps also. I draw the line at 300lbs by myself, give or take 20lbs. Anything over that and I pay for it the next day/week.

I can attest to picking things up when your young and the problems you get when your older. When I was 24 I picked up a 3 flight 12" rock auger, it was about 4' in length with a 4" solid stem. I dont have any idea what it weighted total, but when I put it down there were stars flashing in my eyes. Now I have a back problem with 4 bulging disks and degenerative disk disease. I say work smarter not harder.