I Forge Iron

prices

Monty, there are a zillion posts giving peoples opinions on pricing. Everything from your price for the raw material, fuel for the fire, fuel for your vehicle, tools used, your time (labor), etc...

There are many things to consider that you need to supply us with. Are they plain? A piece of iron with an opener in one end? An animal head on one end? RR spike?
Do you see where I'm going with this?

Please give some info. Pictures would be great and very helpful with answers to your question.

I charge different amounts for different styles. Plain may be $5 and ones with detailed work will and have sold for $25. It depends on a lot of variables. Please post some pictures.

Mark <><

ok, they are a stem with some sort of bean end, similar to a hinge end with N.V.B. chiseled into the end, fairly simple, i dont have any pics as the design isnt finallized, but the only modification i am thinking about is a twist in the stem, does £5 sound fair, or over priced?
thank you for your time and help
monty

ok, they are a stem with some sort of bean end, similar to a hinge end with N.V.B. chiseled into the end, fairly simple, i dont have any pics as the design isnt finallized, but the only modification i am thinking about is a twist in the stem, does £5 sound fair, or over priced?
thank you for your time and help
monty

Hi Monty, £5 seems a reasonable price, maybe even low priced, depending on type (ring or hook) type of twist and finish

Are these all for one client ?

I would suggest using letter stamps instead of chiselling in letters, Quicker than chiselling, and a set of letter stamps are not expensive, and useful for many other applications.

Make a note of the time it takes, pic and materials/ tools used etc and it will serve you well as a reference in future.

Pictures will also give a catalogue/history for your future potential clients.

Prices basically will be what you are satisfied with.

Too cheap. Working off your stock price is not the way to go as small items have almost no stock cost! Make one and calculate your time---this includes set up, cutting or even buying the stock and transporting it hope, etc.

Then figure out what a fair wage would be.

Multiply time by wage and add stock cost.

My thoughts on pricing

You can set the price where ever you want. If the customer wants the item, he will decide on what is "fair" (based on too many variable to lists, assuming all are known). If you have a "fair" price, the customer buys. If you are a bit above "fair", the customer may buy, may try to haggle or may walk away. If you are a lot above "fair" the customer will likely walk away. If you are a bit below "fair" the customer will probably buy and think he got a deal. If you are a lot below "fair" the customer may buy and think he got a steal OR he may walk away thinking there must be a problem of some sort at that price.

So the trick is to find a price the customer will buy at without selling yourself short. Some of that depends on marketing (emphasizing the uniqueness of the piece for example). And for me, this is the hardest part of making money at this.

ron

i have finallized the design, the working end is going to be similar to mr. Brazeals, or mr. Asperys wizard bottle opener, but instead of a wizard there will be a pinapple twist then a thinned section for letters.
ill time it and go by that pricing.
thanks you all very much for your input, it has been extremely helpful
monty