I Forge Iron

Need info for axe making

I'm going to make my first viking bearded axe using the traditional bow tie method like the one Jim Austin made in the ABANA video. I need to know what size material to start with. I'm just guessing somewhere around 2" x 4" x 1/2 or maybe 5/8"? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rusty

have you seen Jim Austins axe tutorial and the thread "viking age axe tutorial" on bladesmiths forum . its exceptional work both in the craftsmanship and presentation .I would highly recommend it .
there is good stuff here for sure , no reason not to look at it all.

I like the fact he showed the notching of the bit to be steeled,. This is a great post and sharing how to keep the bit in place while we are welding. Many attempt steeling with out that step and it never seems to stay in place with out it. That single thing makes it so much easier to hold in place.

Thanks for the info all, being relatively new to this site I'm amazed at the the amount of valuable info there is to research. Jim Austins video and thread will be very helpful in guiding me through the whole process... I need to make some drifts to hold the shape of the eye, does anyone have a suggestion on what degree of bevel I should shape my drifts to?