I Forge Iron

second sheep

thank you beth,aljeter and iron man. I think the success of any animal sculpture lies in the proportions and stance of the feet and legs so I spent a lot of time in this area.(I hope I got it right) The sheeps rear end is another key area that looks a bit camel like but sets it apart and makes it recognisable compared to similar animals, I have to now find things to match the curvature of the wire cage. sometimes you need to cut scrap objects in half, sometimes multiples are required. where a hole is left then a distraction is inserted in the form of a small but interesting item.

Scrapartoz ,

very nice , i'll try & see if MOONY has any pictures of the 5 sheep that MOONY , Andy , Ian & Sean did for a commision job a couple of months ago .

BTW , you interested in comin' ta Get HAMMERED ? 28 th , 29 th 30 th of October @ Braidwood NSW
Will be a lot of like mined smith's for you to meet

Dale Russell

Scrapartoz ,

very nice , i'll try & see if MOONY has any pictures of the 5 sheep that MOONY , Andy , Ian & Sean did for a commision job a couple of months ago .

BTW , you interested in comin' ta Get HAMMERED ? 28 th , 29 th 30 th of October @ Braidwood NSW
Will be a lot of like mined smith's for you to meet

Dale Russell

Thank Dale,
i would really love to attend ' getting hammered " but at that time I am delivering this sculpture to Muttaburra Qld ( a fairly long trip) . I would love to attend next year if that is possible please.
cheers andrew

scrap - you relieve me that you spend time getting this stuff right - lots of scrap sculptures still look like scrap because this is not the case! you got to trouble your artists eye to get it so sweet havent you! look forward to seeing the finish... :)

great link danger!! so often this genre of sculpture bores the pants off me, but the girls stuff is wonderful - i totally get it - cant get enough of the scale she chooses! will have to look a lot at those - and scrapartoz is right - its the expresion she manages to get into the Scale, With the material she has chosen to work with, the vintage of which is often void of any inherent easily harnessable character!! i think she is certainly getting the 'gesture' going right through her whole body (rather than just her hand as if often the case)when she works to manage to keep the feel on this size. she has done great with her material - theres something funny about them too or should i say joyful - they are very happy looking sculptures, very distinctive. thanks for that :)

great face on that ewe!!! can't wait to see it evolve. !!! post more pics as it happens!

check out Helen Denerly, she's another awesome artist in scrap!!

http://www.helendenerley.co.uk/index.htm

and another brilliant scrap artist is joe rush

http://joerush.com/sculpture.html

Thank you Colleen for posting those fantastic links. I can learn a lot from them. i am very impressed with Helen's work in that the vacant, empty space between the scrap parts is of equal artistic importance and beauty as the parts themselves. (I may have to cut back on the amount of stuff I use? )
Joe seems to be a master of capturing warm, friendly animated attitude.
Both these artists are brilliant.

David E . Im so glad you like the sheep. I will post progress tonight. She has come alive with the adding of scrap to her upper body.

wow - loving her now - i like how there are lots of Smaller bits rather than fewer large pieces, she looks heavy and rich with detail - really great! i know the appeal is in the actual scrap - but i would also love to see this kind of work cast...
coleen - yeah great links - really like both the artists work - although joes vehicles are my favourite !! so mad max - i knew as soon as i saw the images he must be mutoid waste company from way back - great to see he is still working - this work came from very chaotic origins!!
scrap - how will you finish the sheep - will you leave her be or put another finish on...? i like her as she is for what its worth...

Thanks Beth, i have added lots more small stuff ( pictures tonight) I like the idea of casting I think it would make an interesting bronze. I will finish the sheep with a coat of fishoil and before its fully dry I will give it a dust bath ( a la elephant) with super fine dry red dust from my farm , this will take the shine off before it naturally ages to a darker matte patina.

sounds great - red dust from your farm :) lovely ! im always torn between the Difference in all the found materials - like how youve shown them to be, all gathered form four corners of the earth and made coherent, and the at one ness of a cast peice - can imagine the separate pieces like the weights spanners chain etc looking really cool next to the sheet cast ... time consuming filing all the holes to take mould though... i once cast a huge bundle of tied birch twigs - cast it in iron, the TIME it took to limit the depth to something reasonable between each tiny piece of stick was probably what made me lose my marbles - the finished piece was not worth it actually, but the idea and the doing it was i guess..