I Forge Iron

Kentucky Blacksmith Assoc. ????

The last meeting of the KBA was held in my Floyds Knobs Indiana shop some years ago. The IBA is very active and has groups all around Indiana. The 2 closest to Louisville are Vernon Indiana, and Paoli. If you look at the IBA just look at the various groups.
All interested are welcome and we only ask that safety glasses be worn and that after 2 meetings you join. The IBA is a bargain as well..

I drive to Nicholasville from time to time as I have a brother that lives in that area. The Paoli meetings would be about a 3 hour drive. In Paoli is The Southern Indiana Meteorite Mashers, with Billy Merrit, the "King of Junkyard Damascus" as Forgemaster. Many knife makers and several general smiths in that group.
The Vernon Group is very friendly as well.

I was kinda sad myself when I saw the last time the KBA website was updated or used at all lol I'm more of a solo artist but it would be nice to have something, I'm thinking we might be able to do a hookup with the Kentucky Horseshoeing School and rebuild a KBA of sorts or maybe something new. I built the facility for the shoeing school and its massive so now the only trick would be talking Mitch the owner into this idea ;) Ill make some calls

I was secretary of the KBA when things went kaput. I still have a mailing list and I've saved the email addresses of people who have contacted me about blacksmithing. (I am afraid that I am somewhat irregular about replying to these inquiries, but I try to answer everyone eventually.)

I can share the list or forward information if any events are organized. It may even be within my responsibility to use the groups stamps for a mailing.

Lewis

Ok boys,
Lets get this thing rolling. I'm in for the new organization. What about you folks??? When and where can we meet to discuss its future>

Harold :D

I'm with you! I think we have the man power here to set this thing on it's feet again. I'm not sure what caused the last one to fold....all I've heard is "passed-way-down-the-line" rumors and those aren't reliable. However, in my opinion it might be better to start and entirely new organization. If there was any ill will when the last group bit the dust, that might hurt our active membership. With a new organization maybe we could get an "all hands on deck," fresh start, situation.

Hey wait.....maybe I aughta join ABANA before I start advising the reconstruction of an abana group! LOL

Hey wait.....maybe I aughta join ABANA before I start advising the reconstruction of an abana group! LOL

Just so you know; there are no "ABANA groups". We are all totally independent and not connected to ABANA in any way. They used to have what they called "chapters" of ABANA but they changed to "affiliates" due to potential liability. Kinda like "friends with no benefits".

I'm all for bringing the KBA back to live. Maybe we can round up some old members. 501c3 is huge ( having some expirence with getting one!) Firey, you shop may be a good place to start and then we can look at a meeting place. I have an idea and a location that I may want to throw at the group but it is a team effort. just getting it started back is the primary goal.

• 1 year later...

It seems there hasn't been a response to this since 2011. Did anything happen with this? I am for resurrecting the KBA too. I am planning on joining the Indiana Blacksmith Association because I know how active they are. I have even been to a couple of events years ago. I am interested in taking my blacksmithing past the hobby stage and would love an active Kentucky group.

I will try to be more active and responsive via IForgeIron. I have been away for a few years. ( Sorry, Glenn :) )

If anyone wants to contact me, drop me an email at Rick.Barter@gmail.com.

Thanks,

rvb

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm in Adair Co! Full time smith and not enough time to host or organize anything. When anyone offers to start a group the interest is high and attendence low. I think we are all too spread out and no one is able to step to the plate to boost enthusiasm, and organize group events.

There use to be a lot of industrial smiths around the Louisville area, that's why the association was formed there..Many are retired now and many don't have the time it seems and like Dave said are so thinly spread out over the state it makes it hard.

Spread out is probably our biggest problem where attendance is concerned too. In most cases there are maybe 3-4 members living close, say within 50 miles, the rest live more than 100 miles away and some have to fly or take a ferry. Alaskan ferry rides tend to be all day affairs unless we're talking Haines to Skagway, or catching the one to the airport at Sitka.

Anyway, between paycheck jobs and distance we're doing well to get more than 10 guys show for a meeting. Reality can be Soooo disappointing can't it?

Frosty The Lucky.