I Forge Iron

Mechanical Massey Hammer - Never seen one before

Hi guys, as my quest for a powerhammer continues, I have been offered this hammer.

I'm told it is a 1/2 cwt Massey hammer, running on 3 phase - that's all I know. I can't find any info on the net about them - I didn't even know Massey ever made mechanical hammers.

Has anyone got any experience of these - any info on how they perform?

I was anticipating finding a 1 or 2 cwt pneumatic hammer somewhere & that is all I have experience of - is this hammer a big step backwards?

Any info much appreciated!

Al.

post-3298-0-63739000-1314864260_thumb.jp

post-3298-0-87515000-1314864299_thumb.jp

that is a very old hammer!
from what I understand these are fast hammers and more for drawing out quickly than fine controle , a lot of these type of hammer were used in the cutlery trade.
you can do a lot of work with a half hundred weight but it depends on what you want to do ?
I would see it working and have a go .

Thanks guys.

So it is similar in operation to a little giant, for example?

I was using a Sahinler 50kg hammer the other day and thinking how I wouldn't want anything much smaller... I probably better pass I think.

Interesting hammer though.

Cheers, Al.

Looks cool! was on holiday last week, repairing 20 ton clutchs this week!

shoot me a pm or email with the serial number and Ill look her up in the records if I get chance.

Massey made a lot of spring hammers, very usefull tools. I would bet you can draw out 1" dia much faster on that than a 2 cwt !

Thanks guys. Yes Dave, exactly right. Although I've been looking for quite a while now and I really need to find something.

The price is ok on it, but even with some negotiation its not exactly a steal. I'd rather put it into a larger hammer - it may be fast at drawing down smallish stock, but it can't cope with the variety of materials I want to work.

It is located in the south of England, if anyone is interested, let me know.

Cheers, Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are similar to the Pattinson hammer, they are quite a bit more robust then the Champions are, and in my view better designed frame clearance, guides etc. Not a "knock" on the CHampion, as im very fond of them, but those Massey and Pattinsons are beasts, sure wish there were some here in the USA.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag this up again. After some further thought and planning, I decided to go for it and buy the hammer. I have a much larger one coming in a few months, so I figured this would bridge the gap between my hand-hammer and a 'big' hammer (Massey 3 cwt).

post-3298-0-15423500-1326104785_thumb.jp

post-3298-0-67396000-1326104808_thumb.jp

I bought it along with several boxes of tooling and a cone mandrel & good size swage block and stand.

post-3298-0-60892400-1326104897_thumb.jp

It says 250 BPM on the plate.

I'm just in the process of installing it on about 9" of wood to jack the anvil height right up - it'll be mostly used on modest stock sizes I guess, so I wanted it at a pretty comfortable height (will be 32"). Hopefully it will be happy on a regular concrete floor, just bolted down - no fancy hammer base.

John N - if you read this:

Do you know if there is a particular main shaft rotation direction I should aim for when I wire it up?

Do you have any literature on these - instructions / maintenance etc etc?

Does the serial number mean anything to you - G 141 I think?

post-3298-0-44191800-1326104870_thumb.jp

While I have you - how much for the Massey manual for the 3 cwt installation & use (etc) - I need to grab one off you - PM me if you like? (I am braced for impact)!

The previous owner bought it from a forge in Sheffield, but doesn't know any more than that.

I've never seen another one of these, nor can I find anything on the on the net - anyone ever come across one?

Should have it up and running in a couple of days - looking forward to it!

Cheers, Al.

Yup - both the left and right side are worn through. There is a pedal mechanism that came with it which mounts to the wooden base - more of a heel rest for when it is raised off the ground.

Weighs just over a tonne I think. Not sure exactly, be surprised if it was less. About the same as a Bridgeport milling machine I think. I have a forklift so shifting etc is no problem (had to load it by hand when I picked it up though - ramps, hand winch, rollers, blocks, grunting,

Cheers, Al.

Yes, its nice and compact. Nothing too high up / sticking out. There is a cover for the pulleys too.

It has a leather cone-type clutch I think. the treadle just moves the inner cone fore-aft into the outer cone. Not sure what state it is in nowadays - this thing has seen a lot of use!

Also came with some spare tool-steel tapered blocks which fit into the ram / anvil so I can make my own tooling easily. I think what made it a good deal was mostly the useful tooling I got thrown in with it.

Cheers, Al.

Thanks! I just got it wired in and fired it up.

It isn't bolted down yet so I was going easy - I'm totally amazed at how smooth, quiet and controllable this hammer is. It is whisper quiet when running, and has a really nice gradual blow-energy increase with the pedal. Goes from a light hit at a rate of about 1 every two seconds up to some pretty convincingly solid blows (didn't get to full throttle yet). I'm really delighted with this little hammer so far. I reckon its going to do a lot of work!

Just deciding where to put it - I want it within 1 step (ish) distance from the forge - don't want to lose a lot of heat walking to and fro with hot stock. Everywhere I think of seems to be in the way of something else. Is it completely stupid to put it against a wall, given that I'll have a larger hammer with free space all round it in a short while?

Anyway - what a great little machine - now I'm convinced I did the right thing. Cheers, Al.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan, yup. all installed and tested.

Er... Not sure about a video - might be beyond my technical know-how.

Sure does speed up the work rate. I'm just using it to do the bulk of any larger stuff, which I finish up by hand as I've yet to acquire any significant skill with the machine(!) and really I need to sort out a heel support at the new pedal height (I put it on a 9" tall wooden plinth).

Still need to route a cable to it in a channel in the floor, rather than tripping over an extension, and put the pulley covers etc back on.

Its an incredibly simple machine - might rebuild it in a couple of years, runs fine, but it is obviously well used.

I'm off to visit the next one in a weeks time... :D

Cheers, Al.

post-3298-0-32072200-1328032612_thumb.jp

post-3298-0-83724100-1328032629_thumb.jp

post-3298-0-13581500-1328032645_thumb.jp

post-3298-0-85241500-1328032658_thumb.jp

The plate on it says 250 bpm, I haven't measured it, but that seems about right. I was concerned it might be a bit too fast, but it responds pretty swiftly if you back off the throttle, and actually it's a good rate for moving metal on a small hammer like this. I'm still experimenting really, there is loads of tooling I haven't tried yet.

Didn't I see a thread somewhere about you acquiring/installing a mechanical hammer Dan? Got any updates?

Cheers, Al