I Forge Iron

Help!!! with welding on Unisphere

Soooo tomorrow I have to go up in a 160' man lift or crane or what ever to weld
SRI Lanka back on the Uni Sphere from the 64-65 worlds fair, ( i'm sure you have heard of it ) I need expertise from all you welding types out there, if the parts are 309 stainless will the 316 welding wire be better for the job ? I don't know what kind of welding machine I can get in the crane lift or if I have to get a two hundred foot ext. cord . They have to drain the fountain, I think they are doing that tonight, ( $17,000 a day for the crane, so my guess is they want it done rather quickly ) . I have anything I need at my disposal with a phone call, so what do you think ?. Don't worry I have plans for two cameras, so I hopefully will have lots of pics, I'm thinking mig if its not windy up there, I have 316 wire and blue shield 9.....or 3/32 309 rod......1/8 308...on hand ,....any ideas ?
11 hours until the crane goes up,.....haven't seen the job yet and won't until 10:00 AM E.S.T

I`d just use 309 wire Larry. It`s a fairly common rod as it`s what most people use for dissimilar steels. Like welding mild to stainless.
Should be easy to find and I never had any more problem running it that I did 316 .
Good luck with it.Sri Lanka thanks you. :^)

I'm with Bob, you should have no prob. with the 309. You may want to think stick rod here also, the higher you go the windier it gets and I doubt they are going to build you a welding hutch up there! :P Glad it's you and not me. I hate welding out of a personel basket or a man lift, if you hiccup the whole thing moves. Good luck with it.

I had forgotten about that 'world's fair'. It was in Seattle, WA in '62, I was there for that one and then in San Antonio, TX in '68, there for that one too. Ain't been to another since. Do they still have them?

309 is the stick rod, whip it like you was welding P5, right out of the puddle and back ,don't try to drag a bead.

Well true but it also comes in a hard wire for SMAW as well as a flux core wire for FCAW. The E309-16 or 309-17 is a smooooth running rod and you can drag these and are primarily for flat but can be used for other positions. The slag from either of these rods will curl up when the amps are right. The E309-15 is for all position, the slag of this one is the dickens to chip off the weld. The weld deposit is rough, like the P5, but much easier for any position, just leaves an ugly weld.

Soooo tomorrow I have to go up in a 160' man lift or crane or what ever to weld
SRI Lanka back on the Uni Sphere from the 64-65 worlds fair, ( i'm sure you have heard of it ) I need expertise from all you welding types out there, if the parts are 309 stainless will the 316 welding wire be better for the job ? I don't know what kind of welding machine I can get in the crane lift or if I have to get a two hundred foot ext. cord . They have to drain the fountain, I think they are doing that tonight, ( $17,000 a day for the crane, so my guess is they want it done rather quickly ) . I have anything I need at my disposal with a phone call, so what do you think ?. Don't worry I have plans for two cameras, so I hopefully will have lots of pics, I'm thinking mig if its not windy up there, I have 316 wire and blue shield 9.....or 3/32 309 rod......1/8 308...on hand ,....any ideas ?
11 hours until the crane goes up,.....haven't seen the job yet and won't until 10:00 AM E.S.T

Kudos son, 40 yrs ago I'da gone with ya. Yeh use the 309. Drain the pond? Stay inna bucket. Can ya get 10% of the crane
cost. Sorta like swinging in a bosn's chair in mid river. Swing a lot weld a little. Updates when done.
Ken.

thanks for the speedy response guys, its a little nerve racking, lots of money on the line, plus the reputation, no foot draggin' today ! ! Like I said, haven't actually seen it, one guy saw it through binoculars ( the monuments guy )