I Forge Iron

Rebowl

Nice bowl, I like it. What did you squish that with ?

A 250 PH with flat dies, then I used a hemisphere die made from a mill ball on top with a flat die on the bottom to do the dish...
About 2/3 of the way into the first heat I discovered it was galvanized! So I decided to walk to the house and play on the internet for awhile till it burned off....................... ;)

Anybody else out there ever get something all done and realize it isn't signed? Well, I did it again. That meant I had to get it hot ..........so why not put a bigger hemi die in the hammer while it's heating and widen it while I have it hot anyway.......Could be this is why I ''forget'' to sign things, so I can mess with em just one more time...... :huh: ........Anyhow I don't think I did bad, and the finish has a bit more contrast..........
The rebar sure don't look galvanized but it is..........

post-15096-0-81765200-1312503849_thumb.j

post-15096-0-78621600-1312503883_thumb.j

Like the contrast. Nothing wrong with reheat and rebeat,especially if you have more raw stock.
Try throwing the rebar into an acid bath to rid it of the zinc and also give to a bit moire texture next time around.
I just know you`re going to do this one again(I saw how much rebar you have left). :D

Like the contrast. Nothing wrong with reheat and rebeat,especially if you have more raw stock.
Try throwing the rebar into an acid bath to rid it of the zinc and also give to a bit moire texture next time around.
I just know you`re going to do this one again(I saw how much rebar you have left). :D

Hydrafloric??.... :unsure:

• 5 months later...

Great bowl! I love the texture.

I forget to sign my stuff all the time and have to go back to do it. One thing I've done is to put my touchmark on a plate, in reverse, and when I squish an item on top of that plate I'm signing it at the same time. At least it helps with my pressed pieces. I also made a new shorty touchmark tool. It's only about 1-1/2" long and I welded a light, 1/4" round stock handle to it that's about 9" long. That way I can punch over a large hot piece on the anvil without burning my hand and it works great in the power hammer or press.

• 2 weeks later...

what gave you that Idea?

My avatar kinda sums that up.... :wacko: ....Lots of junkyard stuff can be forged into cool scuptural shapes eg; chain, threaded rod (I'd love to find some big acme thread) gears, heavy wall pipe....If I can get it hot and get it into the hammer or press I like to see what happens.....Some times it's a diamond, others times it goes in the scrap..... :D