I Forge Iron

Forge welding in a gas forge

SoCal Dave

Who would you recommend to demonstrate/teach forge welding in a gas forge? I would like to make a list people who can teach this type of welding. This is a difficult thing to do consistently and I have found no one willing to teach this. All recommendations are welcomed.

So cal has a lot of farriers and an active group that holds clinics and contests for farriers. Contact any shoeing supply and get contact info for one of the groups near you. All of the contests/clinics include forge welding in gas forges. Lee Greens shoeing shop in Yucaipa comes to mind as someone to ask. CBA, California blacksmithing association is also a good group to seek out.

just get it very very hot with out burning it and let it soak the heat to get surface melting temp under the borax in the middle of the billet if thats what you want to weld?. and use lots of borax as a flux on it and hit it lots of times all over but with very light blows lighter then you think at least :) speed is key, try it for a whole weekend and if your forge is hot enough you will never need someone to tech you this. but what you can use it for depending what you want to do, thats where it gets nice having some one to learn from :)