I Forge Iron

Campfire tripod

Marksnagel

A while back I ran across a post by Steve Sells that showed his campfire cooking triangle. I was impressed on how simple some things can be. I had been wanting to make a set for a while but always overthought it. Steves setup was great. Here's some pics of mine using his design.

post-14490-0-21663200-1311820564_thumb.j post-14490-0-95611700-1311820597_thumb.j post-14490-0-44539000-1311820646_thumb.j post-14490-0-37499100-1311820686_thumb.j post-14490-0-05202900-1311820738_thumb.j

The thing that I really like about this is you can use it as a tripod or as a spit which has room for more than one dutch oven.
I used 1/2in rebar. I will make another out of 1/2in square and another out of 1/2in round. The selling cost for those two will be significantly more than the rebar ones due to material cost and they will just look better. I looked at the prices for mass manufactured ones online and was shocked. These will last a lot longer than those will. Now to prime and paint with heat resistant paint.

Thanks Steve!

Mark <><

Thomas,
No I haven't. Pray tell where are you hiding these pearls of wisdom? :P
I assume that you have devised pads for the feet. Care to re-share?

I would also assume that the idea of the fire tripod goes back to the early days of cooking over a fire starting out as simple sticks of wood. The difference between then and now is materials and adaptation of securing them together at the juncture/acme/apex/top etc...

Thanks in advance,
Mark <><

Seems like it was the last time tripods came up.

I had to do one in trade for some vet work; the vet wanted to be able to suspend a 10+ gallon pot of beans over the fire for long periods of time and we were afraid that the regular pointed legs would sink in too far on one side causing a slight problem.

So I bent out the last 6 inches or so of the leg and pointed the tip and bent 2" of it down and then flattened the piece between the point and the main section of the tripod leg.

In use you set it up so the bent flattened section is parallel with the ground and then step on the flattened part to drive the point into the soil---so it won't slip on the flattened foot.

This prevents the tripod from being re-used as in the spit/pot holder format; but folks that need a heavy duty tripod set up usually have a dedicated pot for it---and generally I can sell them a "transformer" version as well! (actually it's usually the other way around: they get the regular version from someone and then complain to me about having it sag during use with a heavy pot and I make them a heavy pot tripod and they are happy!)

I'm overdue to make an Oseberg tripod but now I have some reasonable wrought iron for it...I will make it with the top bends offset so they can nest for transportation.

I once made the prizes for an SCA cooking contest held during an SCA event. The team got a variety of down hearth cooking equipment; but they all wanted tripods after they saw the one that was part of the set and so I cranked out another 3 of them and still see them scattered around various camps at SCA events. It's *good* to see your work in use!

Thanks Thomas,

I can picture what you mean. That sounds easy enough. I'll make the third one for soft ground. Give them something different. People like options. At least I do.
Rather than ask what an Oseberg Tripod is I looked it up. Pretty neat. I'll set that one aside for another day.