I Forge Iron

unusual? ever seen one like it?

Judson Yaggy

That looks like the vise a friend of mine calls ViceZilla. His is 200lb, and is assumed to be for very heavy work. The length of the vice should allow nearly any size of metal to be held firmly without trying to roll. The adjustable pivot makes it even better, assuming that it is in good working order.

We boys, I have it!!..........his listing on Craigs list was posted on Sunday and it was only a few towns away from here. I called yesterday to see if it was still available....I didn't think it would be but, he still had it. So, off I went last night to see it and it somehow wound up coming home in the back of my truck!. I'll have detailed pictures at some point today but it has 7" jaws and from what we guess it must be at least 150lbs. I have to say for it's age, it is in incredible shape and it is immense compared to my other 5 3/4" vises.

More to come......Scott

Ok, here they are.....I hope I have resized them to what they need to be....

The measurements are 39" high, 7 1/4" jaws, 26" deep front to back plate and the handle is 7/8" diameter. It weighed in at 165lbs.

I have seen big vises before but not one with a pivoting base. The vise is in incredible shape as can be seen in the pictures. The only thing missing is the 3/4" bolt to lock the lower pivot slide, not too bad!
Anybody that would have information on this type of vise would be very much appreciated. I have not been able to find any markings yet but really have not cleaned off all of the dust yet.

Thanks for all the feedback.......Scott

post-6303-0-39015200-1311725807_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-49351400-1311725847_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-85138000-1311725862_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-24005300-1311725881_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-02800000-1311725906_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-40719100-1311725936_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-91668500-1311725953_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-08985800-1311725972_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-56797400-1311725990_thumb.jp

Very sweet vise! You'll probably rarely (if ever) use that adjustment, but it's sure cool. The whole thing just has such nice lines.

Thank you, I think it's pretty cool as well. The old tools just look better in my opinion and of course are usually made much better.

I have seen a few vises that had 2 hole options for the movable leg, but a sliding bar......Never. Vary clever, It should be a joy to use

I use a wood leg vise in my furniture shop with an adjustable bottom. This is much more needed in a wood shop for holding larger pieces than as you mentioned, in the blacksmith shop but, I'm glad to have it if I need it!

I have a vivid imagination. I envision a group of professional, vise forging, hammermen, who in off hours, got together and said, "Let's make a one off vise, and we'll put our own ideas into it." And so they did. My visceral feeling is that it's 1850-1880.

The vise has some of the earmarks of being British, a little like a Peter Wright, but it lacks the typical PW bell shaped lathe turnings and finial on the screw box. It's interesting that the protective duck tail-like lugs on the jaws have the fine touch of stepped shouldering on top. Overall, it has very nice workmanship.

At all events, you have a rare treasure.

I have a vivid imagination. I envision a group of professional, vise forging, hammermen, who in off hours, got together and said, "Let's make a one off vise, and we'll put our own ideas into it." And so they did. My visceral feeling is that it's 1850-1880.

The vise has some of the earmarks of being British, a little like a Peter Wright, but it lacks the typical PW bell shaped lathe turnings and finial on the screw box. It's interesting that the protective duck tail-like lugs on the jaws have the fine touch of stepped shouldering on top. Overall, it has very nice workmanship.

At all events, you have a rare treasure.

Thank you for your thoughts on this vise. I am actually very interested in the history of this piece but given the responses of how rare it is, it will probably remain a mystery to some degree. I thought perhaps it was British and late eighteen hundreds or so as you mentioned but after that I'm just guessing. I know each time someone walks in my shop the reaction is pretty much the same.....mouth wide open in shock and.... "I thought it was an outboard motor when I walk by it"..... was the best one yet. I have searched until my eyes have crossed on the internet to find a picture of this or something close but have not had any luck what so ever....very frustrating but, if as you say it may be a "one of a kind vise" well than I'm out of luck for more information. I'm starting to think this thing belongs in a museum!
Anyone else that wants to weigh in on this please do. I still can't believe I stubbled on such a rare piece without much thought other than the price was too good to pass up!
Thanks.......Scott