I Forge Iron

You go Phil!! I am far from satisfied with my scythes yet... BUT they are all much superior to string trimmers! Faster, quieter, safer and MORE FUN! I am going to make some lighter weight versions. I want a two handed scythe that is real light and easy to swing. I am going to try a new attachment system and a branch handle with natural curves. I cut hay regularly for my horses and just feed it fresh. They LOVE it! A really sharp blade helps a lot. I have settled on a filed edge and then wet stone with an antique coarse scythe stone VERY GENTLY using the stone more like a butchers steel. I get a slightly toothed edge that will slice most weeds with just a gentle swish of the blade (soft grass takes a bit faster swing). The Norwegians cut hay with a straight bladed scythe that looks real light and is fairly short too. I am thinking of something similar. I have lately been making branch handles for many of my tools and am amazed at how easy it is and how nice they are to use! A branch with a fork can make a hanging hook for the tool that doubles as a stop for your grip in use. A crotch makes a strong area for my tangs or an enlarged butt for easier gripping. Branch handles have a lot less waste than riven handles.

BTW I have been peening my blades to preform the bevels before filing and also to repair nicks (I don't get many). Instead of filing or grinding out nicks I just peen a little more metal out of the bevel to fill the nicked areas. THEN I file it to sharpen it. This works quite well as long as the nicks are not too deep. Nicks at the very tip are also harder to peen out... easy to start a crack there.

• 2 weeks later...

When we moved on to our cattle ranch in western/central Utah it hadn't been inhabited for decades. Among the tools we found in the barn were a scythe, a sickle and a corn knife. That was 50 + years ago and I have no idea what became of them. We also found a pair of spring handle sheep shears. I wish I had them now. I got rid of the weed-eater after it pitched a rock through a $4K window. I trim with a machete. When I lived in Panama my gardener showed me how to sharpen the back 3-4" of the machete blade to be used when trimming along concrete or into dirt. That allows you to keep the front of the blade sharp for regular cutting.

• 2 weeks later...