I Forge Iron

Does anyone know where i can buy an ash dump?

Hey All,
I'm building a brake drum forge using 2" black iron pipe, and was wondering if they sell (or if anyone makes) a weighted ash dump that would either screw onto the end of the pipe, or could be welded on.
This isn't terribly important (I could just unscrew an end cap) but it would be a nice feature.
All the ones I've seen online come in a set with a fire pot and klinker breaker which I don't need.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have. -Jim

I am using a #10 coupler nut, a screw, a band clamp, a washer, and an electrical box cover. The coupler nut gets clamped to the pipe so the electrical box cover can be screwed on at only one corner. I bent another corner as a stop, but that is unnecessary.The cover rotates out of the way using whatever tool you have handy. It gets rather warm at times.

This is on a brake drum forge.

http://www.iforgeiro...e-tuyere-grate/

You can see it under the grate I made. I used my gas forge to make a grate for my solid fuel forge.

Phil

Jim are you in South Africa? South America? South Hampton? South Lemitar NM Co-Prosperity Sphere?---(if so let me know and I'll give you what you need from my scrap pile)

Asking a general "where can I buy XYZ" on an *INTERNATIONAL* forum without providing a location is a bit off. I sometimes reply "Over there!"
An easy way to deal with this is to add your general location to your profile so that people know what sorts of things you might have access to.

eg mine is Central NM

The hose clamp coupler nut with a piece of scrap sheet fastened to it is an easy "no weld" version. I have a L shaped strap welded to my pipe with a hole in it for a similar ash door---and riveted a dragon head handle on it for ease of use and amusement of kids---they see it more often than their parents who see the top side of the forge instead.

Jim are you in South Africa? South America? South Hampton? South Lemitar NM Co-Prosperity Sphere?---(if so let me know and I'll give you what you need from my scrap pile)

Asking a general "where can I buy XYZ" on an *INTERNATIONAL* forum without providing a location is a bit off. I sometimes reply "Over there!"
An easy way to deal with this is to add your general location to your profile so that people know what sorts of things you might have access to.

eg mine is Central NM

The hose clamp coupler nut with a piece of scrap sheet fastened to it is an easy "no weld" version. I have a L shaped strap welded to my pipe with a hole in it for a similar ash door---and riveted a dragon head handle on it for ease of use and amusement of kids---they see it more often than their parents who see the top side of the forge instead.

Good Point. I'm in Upstate NY, and never considered that this was an international forum. I just figured with all the experience in building these things here on the forum, someone somewhere would have had this question before and discovered a place that may have sold them. (I've bought internationally before from ebay so location didn't even occur to me as a problem.)
All that being said, i'd love to see a pic of the dragon head!
Thanks all, I'll let you know what I whip up, and i'll be sure to get to work on my profile. -J

Ever tried to ship an anvil or powerhammer internationally? (which is not that hard if you know *how* and have contacts with the right shippers...)

An anvil obviously would be a bit much, but I didn't think an ash trap that would probably weigh 10lbs. at the most would be so far fetched.
Apologies to our international members, the next time i'll be sure to add "somewhere in the U.S." to the thread title to avoid the confusion.

The exhaust cap works quite well and you can get one at any auto supply, it's what I have on my large coal forge. They come with a clamp so all you need is the right size and a small wrench to install it.

Exhaust flap caps are a good ash dump for a couple reasons, they're weighted so they'll close on their own with maybe a little added weight, I can give mine a flip with a poker, tong, etc. Best, if flue gasses build up and pop all it does is flap the ash dump and blow clinker and ashes into my ash bucket. Of course the thud, pop, bang, whump whoosh, etc. it makes is good theater for the audience. :o

Frosty the Lucky