I Forge Iron

This is becoming one of my pet peves, over-packaging

Fe-Wood

.....The re-packaging thing is just lazy. Putting a shipment into another box is faster than re-labeling the original box. GRRRRR!!!!!!.....

Excellent! I agree that it is really terrible that we are creating so much trash and polluting the planet. I really really do!

So tell us. Purchasers tend to be very concerned about their purchases being in their *pristine* original boxes to prove that the item is *brand new*, not a used item that is new looking, and in perfect condition, and the pristine box also as *evidence that the item was not damaged* during shipment. Based upon *your real life* experience, what tried and true methods of shipping have *you* used to satisfy buyers that their delicate non-iron item is brand new and in perfect pristine condition?

Well, If I was selling packaging I would use new boxes. Sense I'm not, I recycle shipping boxes I get from orders or get used ones from the local supply houses. I also re-use the stuffing. My customers are buy my products, the packaging is extra...

Well, If I was selling packaging I would use new boxes. Sense I'm not, I recycle shipping boxes I get from orders or get used ones from the local supply houses. I also re-use the stuffing. My customers are buy my products, the packaging is extra...

Unfortunately your answer does not answer my question. I would greatly appreciate being educated on the subject and an answer to my question, not how you package iron for sale, but fulfill the needs and concerns of people as I asked.

I sorta did, in that those needs are not my concern. The excess packaging is.

I'm not sure it's a conscious need from the customer. I think its laziness on the part of the reseller. This has created an expectation that is unnecessary. I don't know about you but I have had a damaged item put in another box and shipped to me. Looked fine when I signed for it... As I said in my OP, why do I need a bag to put a perfectly good bag of chip in? I'm not sure you understand my peeve or your question....

I sorta did, in that those needs are not my concern. The excess packaging is.

I'm not sure it's a conscious need from the customer. I think its laziness on the part of the reseller. This has created an expectation that is unnecessary. I don't know about you but I have had a damaged item put in another box and shipped to me. Looked fine when I signed for it... As I said in my OP, why do I need a bag to put a perfectly good bag of chip in? I'm not sure you understand my peeve or your question....

I fully understand your peeve and fully agree on decreasing packaging. You don't seem to understand or care that sellers must do their best to prevent returns of merchandise in order to stay in business.

There are lots of ways a company can package an item and still retain it's "pristine" condition, yet not overpackage the item with redundant packaging. Can be done quite easily with re-useable, recycled materials, and/or biodegradable packaging and less or no plastics. I'm surprised it's not obvious

Look at Easter Eggs... Not sure if it's the same in the USA, but here in the UK the trend has been that instead of the chocolate bunny/egg cradled in a plastic form, it has been packaged in a card or egg-tray type material. Less plastic, yet still retaining the "pristine" condition. Sadly not all companies do this, but they should, and we as consumers should support the companies that make good choices.

I am very sorry that you still don't understand this issue. Redundant packaging is how customers judge whether the item is new and undamaged.

I give up trying to help you understand this.

You are making a very broad generalization there. Not all customers believe this. Sounds like you may have been bit by deceptive packaging.

Ever gone to a Home Depot to buy something packaged in a cardboard box all taped shut? Get home and find the package has not only been opened but some parts are missing? Everything looked fine at the time. Do you really believe another box would stop that from happening? Personally- I like to see the original box, lets me know how it has been treated through packaging and shipping. Its to easy to hide damage inside another box.

The reason I'm not "understanding" is I don't agree... At all! I really do understand... Thats why I don't agree...

My most recent purchase from Amazon was some jaws for a wood turning chuck. These are small parts, they easily fit in the palm of my hand. You can clearly see the size of the original box inside the packing materials in the picture below. Look at all the space waisted let alone the materials. Think of the BTU's and raw materials used to make, move and handle this extra box! Haven't even brought up the landfill or recycle side. My parts came tied together with a twisty, wrapped in a small plastic bag and boxed. Nothing to stop the parts from rattling around. Amazon could have very easily put the shipping label on the original box. This other box does nothing more than provide a blank slate, advertising, and take up space.

I am very sorry that you still don't understand this issue. Redundant packaging is how customers judge whether the item is new and undamaged.

I give up trying to help you understand this.

You are making a very broad generalization there. Not all customers believe this. Sounds like you may have been bit by deceptive packaging.

Ever gone to a Home Depot to buy something packaged in a cardboard box all taped shut? Get home and find the package has not only been opened but some parts are missing? Everything looked fine at the time. Do you really believe another box would stop that from happening? Personally- I like to see the original box, lets me know how it has been treated through packaging and shipping. Its to easy to hide damage inside another box.

The reason I'm not "understanding" is I don't agree... At all! I really do understand... Thats why I don't agree...

My most recent purchase from Amazon was some jaws for a wood turning chuck. These are small parts, they easily fit in the palm of my hand. You can clearly see the size of the original box inside the packing materials in the picture below. Look at all the space waisted let alone the materials. Think of the BTU's and raw materials used to make, move and handle this extra box! Haven't even brought up the landfill or recycle side. My parts came tied together with a twisty, wrapped in a small plastic bag and boxed. Nothing to stop the parts from rattling around. Amazon could have very easily put the shipping label on the original box. This other box does nothing more than provide a blank slate, advertising, and take up space.

post-6253-0-61801300-1322417497_thumb.jp

A brown box usually draws little attention. But that big ticket item in the original box (packaging) will turn a head or two before arriving at your house. May even get *lost* in the shuffle. One reason NOT to just put your address on the outside of the original packaging.

In defense of the store shipping your order, they *should* choose the smallest box that will get your materials to you safely. But there is no reason to stock 100 different size boxes when only a few will meet their needs. A little extra packing and your small purchase fits into the box on hand. The store can now stock a minimum of box sizes, save money by ordering more of that size, and speed up shipping as the work station has all the box sizes available are within arms reach. A couple of plastic air bubbles and it is out the door.

It is the white Styrofoam peanuts that scatter to the four corners of the room, and the white dust sticks via static to everything you do not want it to stick to, including the dog.

We have a friend in Queens NY and in one mailing, instead of the normal packaging, we gathered the seed pods from thistle plants. http://kaweahoaks.com/html/bull_thislte02opt.jpg The seed pods are maybe the size of an egg, spiny, and crush resistant. Worked great.

There was a bunch of black dust in the bottom of the box, so he threw it over the rail of the back porch. Next year he said he had the most beautiful purple flowers in his back yard and somehow ,,, he blamed me.

The seed pods are maybe the size of an egg, spiny, and crush resistant. Worked great. There was a bunch of black dust in the bottom of the box, so he threw it over the rail of the back porch. Next year he said he had the most beautiful purple flowers in his back yard and somehow ,,, he blamed me.

Thats a funny story Glenn. Those can be tuff to get rid of.

All I can say about security and theft is 2 words " Signature Required" I had a $2500.00 inverter shipped recently to my rural address. UPS would not leave it until I was there to sign for it. It came in the original manufacturers box- Perfect!

Fe-Wood: Tried to send you an email but it says you "can't receive any more emails"??? Some folks get it and some don't man.. I tried for years to convince people that we weren't given our time on Earth to abuse it,but to try to leave it better than we found it!! Slowing down on that and just trying to keep my own footprint to a minimum and hope my kids do the same. See you're in Grass Valley. Traveled there from my ranch in NE Nevada for a fiddle playing job about thirty years ago. My how time flies...
Eric Sprado spradoeric@gmail.com if you want to email me....

I had a friend flat rate ship me two pieces of round stock to make tool holders for my screw press. I asked him to label each individually as well as the box. When it arrived I got a notice to pick it up at the post office. So next time I was in town I stopped by and the clerk says "*You're* the one!" and takes me behind the counter to where there were a few shreds of a box and several pounds of filament tape wrapped around two pieces of round stock sitting in a wheelbarrow. I was happy to see them and pointed out that they did weigh 2 pounds under the 70# limit for that sized flat rate box...

When shipping iron I have often ended up making a wooden box to fit inside a flat rate box and the iron wedged in that. (After losing a shipment that was merely well packed...)