I Forge Iron

This is becoming one of my pet peves, over-packaging

Fe-Wood

I just went to the store and bought 3 items, Steak, broccoli and Beer. I got 3 bags with these items and I carried the Beer by the provided handle. I don't understand why people need to put bags in bags (packaged steak in its own bag) or a box of things in boxes. I bought a bag of chips the other day- The clerk asked if I wanted a bag- No thanks, they're in one I replied....

Ever order something from Amazon?

One time I ordered something from amazon and the manufacturer provided the original box, then Amazon's supplier put that box in a box, then Amazon put that box in a box to ship all the boxes to me. All 3 boxes had there own extra filler too...

No wonder we as a nation consume so much! Packaging is insane!!!

OK, I feel better now

To remedy that I came up with is to use the free swag bags that I got at the SHOT show here in Las Vegas. Instead of flowers or other feminine decorations, mine proclaim night vision gear, air guns, and other manly items ARRR,ARRRR,ARRRR. The ones from Harris Engineering (bipods) are the best. I got fed up with the plastic bags a long time ago, and actually base some purchases on how they are packed.

You are not alone in this my friend.

Right on Fe, I don't know how many times I've answered the bag question with ''it's already in one''.........And those clear sealed plastic containers they put things like electronics in, it's like you got to use primer cord around the edge to open em.........I usually use a knife, but the primer cord is safer....

.........I usually use a knife, but the primer cord is safer....

I read the following statement
and then looked at your avatar. The result was ice tea all over my monitor. Thanks Macbruce

Glen- I hope your monitor is OK.....

Yah, Thanks Macbruce....

they started charging us for the bags here- like 5 cents each. I use them over if I do take them, but if it does not need a bag I just say no,
I can't stand seeing the bags flying around in the wind they are a nuisance when not disposed of properly

well fe wood i Get you anger about this subject! i am totally militant about taking my own bags and refusing extras, like you - also another protest i make is taking the extra packaging off the groceries at the till (like veg in extra bags and stuff) and leaving them there. vote with your feet or whatever it is they say

Some of the stores here used to have these bins in the front for you to recycle you used grocery bags in but then I saw them being thrown into the compactor in the back, I asked the store manager why bother to bring them back if you're just going to throe them away? We shop a lot at Costco, no plastic bags there, if you have one or two items you get to carry them out in your hand, if you have a lot of items you may or may not get a box. I only take a bag when I really need to carry out a lot of small items. When I was a child almost all of the grocery store reused boxes for your food to carry out to the car, now it is seldom done. If you are moving and need boxes for packing it is hard to find one, the stores sell the cardboard to recyclers and just don't want to give it up, all shelf stocking is done at night by a separate crew and all the boxes are broken down before the day crew starts. The post office will not allow you use one of extra heavy duty liquor boxes becasue of what it says on the outside of the box, no alcohol can be shipped. It is a conspiracy by the box manufactures to get you buy new boxes I guess. I had to get new boxes that didn't have any bar codes on them so I could ship some stuff because it would mess up the post office's bar code readers. I take every thing I can to the recycle center but there are some things that are just too expensive for them to ship out of Phoenix they say, it seems such a shame for this stuff to end up in a landfill though.

At the Giant Food Stores in Texas they still offer you your choice of paper or plastic bags. The last time I was in the Giant in Lubbock and the checker asked me "paper or plastic/" I replied "it don't matter I am bi-sacksual" You should have seen the look on her face.

Here in South Australia all plastic shopping bags have been banned, they can sell bio-degradeable ones for about ten-fifteen cents each if you don't have a bag on you, and they sell re-usable cloth onbes for a dollar or so. I've got a bloody great collection of bags at home and in the boot of the car because I keep forgetting to take them into the shop with me. I suppose the memory will start working eventually!

Andrew

PS: We also get ten cents return on all drink containers so every twentieth carton of beer is a free one!

I suppose the memory will start working eventually!

Sorry Andrew . . .
"Bag-memory" never does develop. We've been using our own cloth bags for years and every time we go into the store, the wife asks : "Got the bags?" and I just reply. . . "nope, forgot 'em". So it's back out to the car to grab a handful. Even better is when we leave them at home and have to buy a couple of new ones. I kind of wonder if the manufacturer has coated the fabric with something that impedes specific memory/

At the Giant Food Stores in Texas they still offer you your choice of paper or plastic bags. The last time I was in the Giant in Lubbock and the checker asked me "paper or plastic/" I replied "it don't matter I am bi-sacksual" You should have seen the look on her face.

Ahhhh Woody, I LIVE for that look. good one, I'll remember it for the next time I'm asked.

I don't let baggers put meat with any other food so I don't need extra baggage but I don't know what to do about the layer after layer of useless packaging as mentioned about Amazon stuff.

Frosty the Lucky

Thats funny.... I just got home from 3 hrs on the road.... you made my night!!!!!

• 4 months later...

The major couriers will not allow you to ship anything without a box, and they will charge you extra for a reusable wooden box. Shipping swage blocks would be so much easier if I could just stick a label on them. As it is I worry about the boxes surviving.

.... The post office will not allow you use one of extra heavy duty liquor boxes becasue of what it says on the outside of the box, ......sad.gif

I learned from my father how to reuse and make large boxes into smaller boxes. The first step is to open the box at the seams, then turn the box over so that the printing if facing up. If the box is the correct size, then use tape to remake the box inside out. If the box is too large, then a utility knife and a metal ruler will quickly make the box smaller... and then use tape to reform the now smaller box. Use an old board or piece of plywood so that the misses does not get upset at the cuts on the dining room table. ;-)

Also,

My wife is from a farm family. As such she finds that cardboard boxes make great compost. Don't ask my why, but it seems that boxes, brown paper bags, newspapers, leaves, and grass clippings, when composted make her vegetables and flowers very happy. If it is organic and not covered with road salt or other chemicals, then apparently it can be made into compost to renew the soil.

Also,
Now that the stores have stopped offering paper bags, I have changed to recycled newspaper to wrap stuff for mailing.

Also,
It would be nice if the road crews used more sand and less salt (like they did when I was a kid). I can't begin to imagine what all those road salts are doing to the water supplies and land. The local newspaper this past week had a lengthily article on which fish are now contain the highest levels of poisonous substances and not to eat them.

Glenn,

It has to do with the insurance. Even if you don't buy extra insurance, the first 100 or 500 is insured. So they want the thing bulletproof so the automated sorting system can't ruin it. I can get away with repackaging in original OEM packaging but it touchy at times. Besides the stores have to sell those boxes somehow.......

...Shipping swage blocks would be so much easier if I could just stick a label on them. As it is I worry about the boxes surviving.

A book exchange web site had/has some pretty useful information on packaging stuff for shipping. They recommend a letter or invoice with shipping and receiving addresses stuck inside of the book being mailed, an inner wrapper (recycled newspaper is fine) with a label taped to the inner wrapper. And finally an outer post office approved wrapper with the mailing label taped in place. Their logic is that having three sets of addresses makes it much less likely that the shipping elves will loose the address and increase the likelihood of the package being delivered. If I were shipping a swage block, I would securely tape a shipping label directly to the swage block prior to enclosing the block in its shipping packaging. That way if the outer box and/or packaging is destroyed by the shipping elves there is still address information attached directly to the block.

Personally, I find the battle to keep stuff labeled and intact to survive the shipping process to be a source of stress.

Just my thought, mileage may vary. ;-)

Fe wood... is it Peter???

man, I am so with you on this one!!! I hate plastic bags, I hate overpackaging, but I especially, I hate plastic. It causes so much damage to wildlife, especially sea life. Have you heard the term "mermaid's tears"? Oh, this subject depresses me greatly.

I am old enough to remember my parents buying groceries, and they came in paper bags. Which we would re-use. Oh, and soap, this drives me mad too- soap used to come in a bar, wrapped in paper. Now it seems that the norm is that soap is in a plastic bottle, or people use shower gel, in a plastic bottle. Why put something in a plastic bottle that doesn't need to be??? The world has gone mad I'm afraid, digging up petro chemicals out of the ground, to then make them into objects to be discarded back into the ground..

I wish it were easier to avoid plastic and overpackaging....!!

(hehe bi-sacksuel... good one!!)

"Their logic is that having three sets of addresses makes it much less likely that the shipping elves will loose the address and increase the likelihood of the package being delivered. "

Interesting name, Shipping Elves, I tend to call them Freight Monkeys, dunno why, but having seen what an oragutan can do to a tyre, and the similarity of that to some of my packages that have been returned the penny may be dropping slowly.

Colleen-
We could go on and on about the petro bit... I feel as humans we have taken on the part of refining the world only to place those refined bits back in the earth in ways nature cannot dilute (break down). Someday I may do a series of artworks about that.... I think about it often...

Farmweld
The re-packaging thing is just lazy. Putting a shipment into another box is faster than re-labeling the original box. GRRRRR!!!!!!

I'm sure many of us have had a shipment run astray, no matter how big or well labeled.

MacB
I think I saw that "island" on a flight to Hawaii some years ago. From what I understand, the water around it is dead. To many chemicals leaching off to support life.