I Forge Iron

Fabricator wanted

dont know if anyone is close to me or not. Shop is located close to Mercersburg, PA 17236. Looking for the RIGHT employee

Fabricator Wanted

Part time with potential for full time

Interested persons must-

· Stick, MIG, and TIG weld

· Be capable of project layout and design

· Be self-motivated, willing to followinstructions, and possess a positive attitude

Range of work varies from customforged ironwork to agricultural repair. Artistic abilities would be a bonus.

Interested persons who meet theserequirements can submit references, resume, and samples of work via email (burdettenetworks@gmail.com) or call (717-816-9462)

*Interested persons may be askedto perform task to prove skills. Inaddition they may be asked to submit to a background check and or drug test.*

That made me think about all the soul searching I have been doing, wanting to have my own business in some type
Of blacksmithing or bladesmithing. Then it occurred to me that I made almost 90 grand as a union rodbuster. I would have to be a pretty amazing blacksmith to bring in that kind of dough in this economy!

Yeah, I worked about 3000 hours last year and turned out $180 grand worth of work.... With a net profit of just under $1000 bucks. So $.30 cents an hour is not exactly "big bucks". I'd take 90k a year with bennys. What's really sad is my "apprentice" is the only one making a living wage .. Not that I am ready to throw in the towel and go back to getting a paycheck..

Yeah, I worked about 3000 hours last year and turned out $180 grand worth of work.... With a net profit of just under $1000 bucks. So $.30 cents an hour is not exactly "big bucks". I'd take 90k a year with bennys. What's really sad is my "apprentice" is the only one making a living wage .. Not that I am ready to throw in the towel and go back to getting a paycheck..

Profit = Black bottom line means that you are winnig! Many got beat bad last year - so it's positive - well that's what they keep telling me - And if I tell myself it often enough I think I will soon convince myself :D

Yea but you acquired like 60 grand in tools last year. Also deducted everything from toilet paper to car insurance and that blacksmith class or two you took.;)

Yea but you acquired like 60 grand in tools last year. Also deducted everything from toilet paper to car insurance and that blacksmith class or two you took.;)

Shoot Tim I think it was only about 50 grand, not sixty... But I think I took more than two classes... One of the things that always shocks me when I do my books at the end of the year is what my truck cost I got a fairly new turbo diesel ford thats paid for... but it cost me $8000 in fuel, $1200 insurance $5000 in maintenance and repair... Id sure like to have a new one but $60k for one just like mine only 7 years newer seems crazy... Oh and I dont know where the $1000 a month payment would come from unless I wanted to live in it...

Anyway I kinda hijacked the thread here... Sorry... I would think there would be plenty of good guys looking for work if you could pay them a reasonable wage..

hey all, no fuss on the highjack it keeps it in the newpost area. As far as not getting a paycheck tell me about it. I have had one in three years. My owner draws at the end of the year last year was like $1200 dollars but my whole life is my buisness so most of my expenses are covered and legally covered.

Anyhow I have no problem paying somebody a fare wage if they can do these items and help to make the buisness money. More money an employee makes for a buisness the more they should be able to get paid. We have pretty high unemployment in my area right now but not many guys who are actually skilled to this level. Everybody is a "welder" untill you send them to the field to weld up some ag repair with the stick welder. They are all "welders" untill you through a TIG at them to weld up aluminum rails. I have a high school vo tech kid that claims he wants to learn more about ornamental work and blacksmithing. His teacher says he is one of the best three in the class of 16 and is not an asshole. ( one of my other requirements) So I bring him in for a few days he shows up all days without his boots tied talking about how early it is (he got here at 9 I get here at 6) he says he can tig weld steel good so I set him lose on some pipe rails and he makes a mess out of them. I stop him weld some show him the weld and ask him if he can do it like that. yup yup no problem. well long story short he had to grind and smooth all the welds which defeats the purpose of why I tig weld them all! Then i sent him to cutting pickets with a nice ellis saw tell him need 7 out of 1/2 inch squar that are 34-3/4 long. He cuts six out of 5/8 square bar. I walk out take a look and ask him. Did you measure this or just look at it and guessed it was 1/2? he guessed... imagine that..... so i let him sweep the shop and sent him home. Here I was hoping to get a young guy that actually wanted to learn and had some ambition.
I wonder just how bad the bad kids are in that welding and fab class he came from!

any how I am now looking for someone with the experience level that I have or more. I would love to find somebody that was really into it. Somebody that wants to be a part of something special and wants a job where you get to do lots of unique things and create anything that comes to mind. Somebody that wants a to live a lifestyle of metal work not just do it for a job. If you know anybody send them my way. I will pay them what I can and if they make the shop money they will quickly make more money them selves.

hey all, no fuss on the highjack it keeps it in the newpost area. As far as not getting a paycheck tell me about it. I have had one in three years. My owner draws at the end of the year last year was like $1200 dollars but my whole life is my buisness so most of my expenses are covered and legally covered.

Anyhow I have no problem paying somebody a fare wage if they can do these items and help to make the buisness money. More money an employee makes for a buisness the more they should be able to get paid. We have pretty high unemployment in my area right now but not many guys who are actually skilled to this level. Everybody is a "welder" untill you send them to the field to weld up some ag repair with the stick welder. They are all "welders" untill you through a TIG at them to weld up aluminum rails. I have a high school vo tech kid that claims he wants to learn more about ornamental work and blacksmithing. His teacher says he is one of the best three in the class of 16 and is not an asshole. ( one of my other requirements) So I bring him in for a few days he shows up all days without his boots tied talking about how early it is (he got here at 9 I get here at 6) he says he can tig weld steel good so I set him lose on some pipe rails and he makes a mess out of them. I stop him weld some show him the weld and ask him if he can do it like that. yup yup no problem. well long story short he had to grind and smooth all the welds which defeats the purpose of why I tig weld them all! Then i sent him to cutting pickets with a nice ellis saw tell him need 7 out of 1/2 inch squar that are 34-3/4 long. He cuts six out of 5/8 square bar. I walk out take a look and ask him. Did you measure this or just look at it and guessed it was 1/2? he guessed... imagine that..... so i let him sweep the shop and sent him home. Here I was hoping to get a young guy that actually wanted to learn and had some ambition.
I wonder just how bad the bad kids are in that welding and fab class he came from!

any how I am now looking for someone with the experience level that I have or more. I would love to find somebody that was really into it. Somebody that wants to be a part of something special and wants a job where you get to do lots of unique things and create anything that comes to mind. Somebody that wants a to live a lifestyle of metal work not just do it for a job. If you know anybody send them my way. I will pay them what I can and if they make the shop money they will quickly make more money them selves.

How much you gonna charge me for room and board if I move back down the coast?