I Forge Iron

First pass at a Walleye

I fish a little but am no expert and I've never caught a walleye. I have a client that wants a piece with 3 walleye included in it. Here is my first pass. The walleye is made from 14 ga. mild steel. It is 11" long.The space constraints for the whole piece will not allow for a bigger size.
If any of you fisherman can offer suggestions/comments I would appreciate it.

John
post-278-0-82492000-1307929276_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-69401200-1307929266_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-38173000-1307929272_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-49921100-1307929279_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-64811300-1307929282_thumb.jpg

Do you have a reciepi for cooking steel fish? I have never seen a walleye, but those look good enough to eat! Great work!

My favorite way to serve them is as a Walleye sandwich. Here`s how I do it; take 2 polishing wheels and spread the side of one with assembly lube,place the fish (after lightly toasting over a coal fire to give it some color)on the prepared polishing wheel and garnish with brass wool,sprinkle a little cutting oil on the garnish, add a dash of rock salt to taste,cover with the remaining wheel and serve. Some people like to toast the wheels while cooking the fish but I`m a straight up kind of guy. This approach work as well with Steelhead trout as it does with Walleye.
Shave some ice into a tumbler of slack tub water and you`ve got yourself a hearty blacksmith`s lunch or light dinner. :D

Nice work on the fish BTW.
I have to agree with the others who said it needs teeth. Any steel fish should have teeth at least as big as the guy who made it. :)

Nicely done, but throw it back to get bigger. (Ohio has a 14 inch minimum on keepers :P)

It looks walleye, but does need some tweeking. Do a google image search and see some more pictures. It seems that the swimming fish has the chin lower than a fish on land or hook.

Phil