I Forge Iron

help with anvil ID and opinions on condition

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/atq/2393057033.html

I found this today. I am going to jump on it, I have already sent an email to the seller, but what do you guys think of the anvil in the picture? condition/maker/opinions

It's really hard to tell from pictures how good something like that is you know. Dose the crank spin or is it frozen solid, that's really important stuff to know. If it's frozen and wont turn it can be a major problem or just as simple as taking it apart and cleaning out the dirty solidified grease and putting in new or as bad as it all being solid rust and broken gears. Now as to the anvil it looks to be cast iron from the seam that appears under the horn. That could be OK or not so good. It could be just and old Anvil Shaped Object(ASO). ASO were not first invented by the Japanese or Chinese but much older than that so check it out for the sound it makes when struck, a ring is good and thwack is OK if it a Fisher or even another cast iron anvil with a steel face. If it doesn't have a steel face I don't know that it is such a good buy but if that blower does turn freely that alone could make up for the anvil being an ASO.

the tools look interesting enough, I am wanting them, but my eye is drifting towards the anvil. It is obviously cast as it has the raised lettering and th seam under the horn, but is it iron or steel. is this an anvil or an aso?

If that blower is functioning, I'd consider the lot as a good buy regardless of the type or condition of the anvil. I've not seen a good blower on the market for less than a hundred dollars, and you can reshape those hardies and tongs to better suit your type of work, so it's a pretty good deal. Even if it's an ASO, it's still something to beat on and will find some use in a shop.

Here is my question... Why do you not have this at your place!!??? The anvil is cast iron and most likely made by a small foundry. I say that because I did not find it in "Anvils in America". There is a place in Bossier, LA that make a farriers anvil and they are heat treated here in Lonview, TX, called Emerson. Good anvil from what I have seen and heard of although I have never used one. There was also a place in Marshall, TX that made a cast iron anvil, it was called Smith or Smith's Foundry, a low end anvil from what I have seen. The anvil, as mentioned by others, may or may not be any good but the rest of the items are well worth the $$. What, you still here reading!?!? Why haven't you left to pick this stuff up?

I would say "Pass" the blower looks a little funky, the anvil would only be worth whatever a scrap yard will pay for cast iron, and the hardies have little to no value, and the tongs I would not give $5.00 for those. Buyer beware on this lot, I would not waste my time or gas to go look at it myself

thanks for the info guys. I have a call and an email in to the seller, he has yet to respond so it might be sold already. who knows. if i get a resonse back you guys will know because i will have it posted as a "followed me home" item

I would say "Pass" the blower looks a little funky, the anvil would only be worth whatever a scrap yard will pay for cast iron, and the hardies have little to no value, and the tongs I would not give $5.00 for those. Buyer beware on this lot, I would not waste my time or gas to go look at it myself

Clint, I think the blower looks 'funky' because he has the end of the blower stuck in the BOTTOM of the ash dump. This blower and turie assembly goes on te bottom of a pressed pan forge===rivit forge. yea, we all agree about the anvil but if that's all ya got.... The hardies look fine and will work if they fit the HH.